Nitrate and phosphate in quarantine tank

alp5747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a large quarantine tank running and I am feeding heavy. My question is could I use carbon dosing to reduce nitrate and can I use gfo to reduce phosphate in my quarantine tank. I don’t see a problem, but I am just making sure. Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I have a large quarantine tank running and I am feeding heavy. My question is could I use carbon dosing to reduce nitrate and can I use gfo to reduce phosphate in my quarantine tank. I don’t see a problem, but I am just making sure. Thanks
It would help if you gave the numbers. I would manage these with water changes (assuming you don't have calcareous rock, etc in the tank). It would also depend on what medications you're using or QT - or just observation.

OP
OP
A

alp5747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help if you gave the numbers. I would manage these with water changes (assuming you don't have calcareous rock, etc in the tank). It would also depend on what medications you're using or QT - or just observation.
My last nitrates reading was 100 ppm. The system is around 180 gallons so water changes are not a possibility I don’t have a problem with ammonia. My concern is just if the carbon dosing or gfo will have an effect on medication. I am using copper and planning on treating with praziquantel afterwards. I don’t have any calcareous rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I wouldn’t fret unless very high as qt tanks have limited filtration and will display such numbers

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last nitrates reading was 100 ppm. The system is around 180 gallons so water changes are not a possibility I don’t have a problem with ammonia. My concern is just if the carbon dosing or gfo will have an effect on medication. I am using copper and planning on treating with praziquantel afterwards. I don’t have any calcareous rock.

Do you know - does your test measure nitrate-nitrogen or nitrate ion? If it is nitrate ion, that number is fine for a QT. If you are measuring nitrate-nitrogen, it is too high.

So - 1 mg/L of nitrate NO3-N = 4.43mg/L NO3 • To convert mg/L NO3-N to mg/L of NO3 multiply result by 4.43 • To convert mg/L NO3 to mg/L NO3-N divide by 4.43.

Nitrate, by itself is not the issue for fish, it is used as an easily measured metric for overall poor water quality. For corals, it is a lot more important. For fish, you usually see overly high nitrate coincide with a low pH. This is due to a build up of organic acids in the water. Is you pH fine?

OP
OP
A

alp5747

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know - does your test measure nitrate-nitrogen or nitrate ion? If it is nitrate ion, that number is fine for a QT. If you are measuring nitrate-nitrogen, it is too high.

So - 1 mg/L of nitrate NO3-N = 4.43mg/L NO3 • To convert mg/L NO3-N to mg/L of NO3 multiply result by 4.43 • To convert mg/L NO3 to mg/L NO3-N divide by 4.43.

Nitrate, by itself is not the issue for fish, it is used as an easily measured metric for overall poor water quality. For corals, it is a lot more important. For fish, you usually see overly high nitrate coincide with a low pH. This is due to a build up of organic acids in the water. Is you pH fine?
The measurement result is in form of nitrate ion not NO3-N

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back