Nitrate dosing

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been consistently right around 4 ppm of free nitrate and .05 ppm free phosphate each morning now. After Dosing .5 ppm of nitrate (1ml of solution) I wait and hour and re test and get somewhere between 8 and 12 ppm after 1 hour. The numbers don’t really match up but it’s not reading excessively high. The Red Sea pro nitrate test kit is not very granular but seems consistent.

As I said earlier, brightwell says to wait 24 hours to measure. I do not know what the reason for this is, but I am assuming it is a good one. And probably explains your discrepancy in testing.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said earlier, brightwell says to wait 24 hours to measure. I do not know what the reason for this is, but I am assuming it is a good one. And probably explains your discrepancy in testing.

Right now I am testing both 1 hour after and 24 hours. Regardless it looks like dosing 1ml or .5ppm daily keeps me right in the range I need to be. As long as I test in the morning and I am somewhere around 4 and less than 12 ppm I think I am happy. I will keeping dosing and testing for another week or two to make sure all stays stable then reduce my testing back to once a week. Alk is holding stable and I am seeing growth results daily in my fast growers, so far so good. for brightwell does it tell you how much nitrate you are dosing daily? I am wondering if .5ppm is on track.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am testing both 1 hour after and 24 hours. Regardless it looks like dosing 1ml or .5ppm daily keeps me right in the range I need to be. As long as I test in the morning and I am somewhere around 4 and less than 12 ppm I think I am happy. I will keeping dosing and testing for another week or two to make sure all stays stable then reduce my testing back to once a week. Alk is holding stable and I am seeing growth results daily in my fast growers, so far so good. for brightwell does it tell you how much nitrate you are dosing daily? I am wondering if .5ppm is on track.

Brightwell's is different then what you are doing I think. Brightwell is a liquid. It has you do an equation to figure out how much to dose. Something like Gallons of system volume times desired ppm times some number.

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 tsp of sodium nitrate mixed in to a couple ounces of DI water should bring your ppm up by 3 or so.

I just started dosing sodium nitrate a few days ago, my tank is ~40 gal, so I dosed 1/8, measured, then dosed another 1/8 tsp.

corals looked better within a day. My nitrates had been below 1 ppm for some time.
How much sodium nitrate would you recommend for a 15 gal?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back