Nitrate dosing

rros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an imbalance in nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate is 0.0 and phosphate is .04. Can I dose nitrate without effecting phosphate? If so, what would be suggested to do so? Im using Hannah checkers to measure water. Tank has been up and running for approx 10 years ,120 gal. Cheo in the fuge and using siporax and marine bio blocks in the sump for bio filtration. Very little algae growth and mostly softies with a few sps. Lps doing fine Sps struggling. AlK 9.1 CAL 475 MAG 1330. Running omega 150 skimmer and Radion xr 30's g5 on mobus. Any thoughts?

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed a lot more but don’t over feed. How many fish in the tank? Brightwell neonitro works well for dosing.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an imbalance in nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate is 0.0 and phosphate is .04. Can I dose nitrate without effecting phosphate? If so, what would be suggested to do so? Im using Hannah checkers to measure water. Tank has been up and running for approx 10 years ,120 gal. Cheo in the fuge and using siporax and marine bio blocks in the sump for bio filtration. Very little algae growth and mostly softies with a few sps. Lps doing fine Sps struggling. AlK 9.1 CAL 475 MAG 1330. Running omega 150 skimmer and Radion xr 30's g5 on mobus. Any thoughts?
Cheto, siporax, marine bio blocks... just reduce bio filtration slowly and there will be no need to dose nitrate. Dosing nitrate with this very strong biofiltration will bottom phosphate in matter of days / hours.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Sodium Nitrate to get my nitrates up in my tank (in the beginning). I believe the company was Loud Wolf or something like that...purchased the powder online and mixed with RODI water to come up with a mixture.

OP
OP
rros

rros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same. I have a mated pair of clowns and a med-large powder blue and a med- large hippo...will the neonitro effect phosphate?

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Neonitro will increase potassium levels as well so I would suggest the ESV nitrate. I use it all the time and it’s great

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second biom. I would remove siporax and bio blocks first, change filter socks less often and feed more.

OP
OP
rros

rros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheto, siporax, marine bio blocks... just reduce bio filtration slowly and there will be no need to dose nitrate. Dosing nitrate with this very strong biofiltration will bottom phosphate in matter of days / hours.
Great idea , sounds better than adding to the tank.. will try removing marine pure, first, then test.. adjust as necessary.. additives as last resort.. thanks!

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of clowns and a med-large powder blue and a med- large hippo...
add more fish if you feel comfortable -120 g will provide plenty of space for more than 4 fish and they will provide more nitrogen. Feeding more is not always good option because could left food uneaten and rotting which can cause cyano problems.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back