Nitrate extremely high

-Aquaman-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 75 that has rock and sand in it and has been running since dec-Jan. For what ever reason I'm still trying to get it stable. I have done tons of water changes and nothing seems to help. As of now everything is low but my nitrate that is 50 plus on the red sea kit. I thought about vodka dosing since I dont know what else to do. Any ideas?

OP
OP
A

-Aquaman-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add I'm also running a refugium with cheato that is growing great

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same issue with paling corals added. PO4 was zero but nitrates were at 40ppm. Couldn't get it down. Have a scrubber running but growth was just normal. Not equivalent to the nitrates. Turns out, that I was obviously very phosphate limited. No phosphate = No Ying to nitrates Yang so no nitrate drop.

I tried the solution of raising phosphates but what helped to really reset the system was water changes. Fairly large and fairly close behind each other with almost exact params as the tank. When nitrates were up back up between 5-10ppm, I started dosing vodka. As I was sure I had the equivalent pO4 to nitrate ratio.

Smarter persons will comment but that's my anecdote.

Oh I also added Matrix media to help with bacteria and use a bit of Microbacter7 to seed additional bacteria.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplest solution is a series of water changes but you need to make sure the water you are using is 0 TDS RODI to make the new saltwater. Then do a series of 20% changes and that will bring nitrates down. 10% is better if you have corals etc so the parameters aren’t affected as much.

The other options include increased levels of biological filtration such as adding Seachem Matrix , De Nitrate, Marine Pure etc etc, and then their is carbon dosing such as Nopox or vodka as you mention

You have to balance nutrient import with export and have enough systems in place to keep the levels down (I know!) and once set up it all works with very little intervention from you.

Or maybe get a bigger refugium if you can or a combination of all of the above.

I use most of these methods combined as I have a massive bioload!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

-Aquaman-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplest solution is a series of water changes but you need to make sure the water you are using is 0 TDS RODI to make the new saltwater. Then do a series of 20% changes and that will bring nitrates down. 10% is better if you have corals etc so the parameters aren’t affected as much.

The other options include increased levels of biological filtration such as adding Seachem Matrix , De Nitrate, Marine Pure etc etc, and then their is carbon dosing such as Nopox or vodka as you mention

You have to balance nutrient import with export and have enough systems in place to keep the levels down (I know!) and once set up it all works with very little intervention from you.

Or maybe get a bigger refugium if you can or a combination of all of the above.

I use most of these methods combined as I have a massive bioload!
I only have 3 clowns, lawnmower blenny and a emerald crab in the tank. I a fee months ago I did do 2 huge 80% water changes with my rodi filter but the nitrates keep coming back

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 3 clowns, lawnmower blenny and a emerald crab in the tank. I a fee months ago I did do 2 huge 80% water changes with my rodi filter but the nitrates keep coming back
You just need to put measures in place as I mentioned above to increase nutrient export from the system (I am also assuming your already using a skimmer). What goes in, needs to come out as well.

OP
OP
A

-Aquaman-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to put measures in place as I mentioned above to increase nutrient export from the system (I am also assuming your already using a skimmer). What goes in, needs to come out as well.
Yes I am skimming, do you suggest me starting off with water changes and see how that goes or should I just go ahead and dose vodka?

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am skimming, do you suggest me starting off with water changes and see how that goes or should I just go ahead and dose vodka?
As I mentioned in the post. Water changes to reset the tank and use bio media and then, only then you can start thinking about vodka. With your PO4 level it's going to be hard as the bacteria grown from vodka dosing also need pO4.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the water changes and see how you get on, but I would also increase the biological filtration (Seachem Matrix etc) as you can’t really have to much filtration, and it sounds like your system might need a little additional help.

Before you dose vodka or similar, just make sure you study how it works, how much to dose etc and start slowly if and when you proceed. And be patient

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back