Nitrate HR timer question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the Nitrate HR checker and noticed a discrepancy with the timer. I know I've read here or on the BRS facebook page that it has a 7 minute timer. The directions even state "Insert the cuvette into the checker and close the cap. Press and hold the ON/OFF button. The display will show the countdown prior to the measurement. Alternatively, wait 7 minutes and press the button"*
However, the timer on mine only went to three minutes. Reading something about another check (LR Nitrate maybe), I did try holding the button down longer, but that didn't change how long the timer was set for. I also noticed that, as the directions stated, it didn't remain on for 10 minutes. I wasn't paying attention, but it was, at best 2 or 3 minutes, but it seemed like 1 or 2.
So, did they change something with it and not update the directions? Did I get one that was programmed incorrectly (ie incorrect firmware)? Am I misunderstanding the directions? Something else? Unless someone has a difinitive answer or Hanna replies here, I'll probably just email them about it.

On the plus side, part of the reason I bought it is because I've been using salifert for a while and decided to give Nyos a try. Every Nyos test I've done has read zero. Assuming the result on the hanna test was correct at .04, that at least matches what I was getting with Nyos.

*In my expierence, with all my hanna checkers (5 now), when it says 'alternatively, wait X minutes and press the button', X minutes is the length of the timer.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly does appear that you have a defective unit. My HR nitrate checker will count down from 7 minutes when I long press the button when it is asking for C2.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd contact Hanna or who you purchased from. Sounds like something is not right with your checker.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that makes me feel better. I send them an email or a facebook message and see what they have to say. It was from Amazon, so if there's any issues (ie with customer service), it's not a big deal to return/exchange.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the result on the hanna test was correct at .04, that at least matches what I was getting with Nyos.
I haven't used mine in a while and my memory may be wrong, but I find this result odd because I don't recall the HR going down to two decimal. I thought only the LR goes that low.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back