Nitrate issue

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if I should start dosing vodka or invest in a bio pellet reactor and here is why. My nitrates consistently are between 10 and 20 which I think is far to high and notice the sps coloration disappearing.

I do a 10% water change weekly which isn't helping and run a algae scrubber which also just keeps the problem in check.

So what would the recommendations be? Increase the Algae Scrubber size? (Currently 10 inch screen), Reactor for bio pellets or vodka dosing?

If reactor is best which reactor do you recommend for a 34 gallon tank?

If Vodka dosing what would the dose be per day?

I do feed the corals once per week and fish 3 times a week (moderate amount) not heavy.

Bubble Magus 3.5 Skimmer which pulls out some nice tea color skimmate. The sump is 15 gallon tank with 10 gallons filled up which has a few snails and a hermit to keep it in check. PH is 8.1 ALK 9.5 and Calc 410 (Lower side raising it currently to 430)

Ideas are welcomed because its getting annoying with the nitrate and sps loss issue.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do u have?also do you have any sand if so how thick?

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot to vodka dosing so if ur looking for a quick fix not going to happen, u need to do a lot of research.
I think you should do more then 10% water changes weekly.
You should do 20%.
If u do start to vodka dose u can ditch that ATS.
I use vodka dosing. I dropped my nits from 200 to about 10ppm in a little over a month,
But I did a lot 30% water changes every 2 days along with strong dosing but what I did isn't for everyone...
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/120915-dropping-nitrates-progression.html

Wat kind of lights and what's ur flow? If I keep my nitrates at 10ppm my sps look super colorful!
Just an idea, ( I know this will causes some issues) but maybe ur alk is to high for ur corals...
If u go with high alk you need strong lighting and high flow.... Just a thought.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total water volume is roughly 40 gallons. Regarding a deep sand bed, no my sand bed is two inches deep and I have a pistol shrimp that helps keep that inline. I believe my YWG died because I haven't seen him in over a week.

I think I am going to setup a section in the sump for some cheato which will replace the algae scrubber.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also planning two 30 - 40 percent water changes this weekend over a course of two days. I almost feel link I might not have enough rock? I have about 18 pound of rock in the tank.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back when, When we started our first tank our nitrates were consistatly high. Just turned out we were feeding the fish too much. I slowed down on the feeding and did some water changes and the nitrates havnt been a problem since. But we have a 29 Gallon we keep our Frags and Pricey Corals in and id guess we have about 60lbs of live rock, Maybe more? But keep us posted on what happens with the water changes this weekend!

ravedood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start doing 20% water changes weekly. A higher percentage might trigger the tank to cycle. Do you use bio balls? How many fish are in the tank? What skimmer do u have? How many pounds of live rock? Do u use filter socks? If so what micron size?

Try to find the source of the problem, dont just add more things to try and combat the problem. It would be one more thing to maintain.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 18 pounds of rock. for a 34 gallon tank. I still might not have enough rock in the tank. I plan on cycling some tonga pieces to add with some more base rock.

Bubble Magus 3.5 skimmer with new pump.

I don't use filter socks but I do use filter media on occasion.

I am just going to do more water changes for now and see what this does in a two week period. I am also going to section off a portion of my tank and add some cheato to obsorb the nitrates. This is the type of advice I would give, so I think I will follow my own advice.

I do know that the algae skimmer isn't doing the job it should be.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd opt for making a bigger ATS. The one you have is able to keep the Trates at a low level, but not low enough for what your looking for. You need one at a proportionate size to your total water volume. Make it bigger and I think you'll see your Trates drop off.
Vodka Dosing is easy enough to do and will take those Trates down, but will take a bit of time to do so, if you go by the start up instructions. Which we can skirt and get you going a bit faster.
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com
Melevsreef.com - Dosing Vodka to Lower Nitrate & Phosphate

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefind Madness... Should I go to a 18 inch screen? I would rather spend money on the scrubber then money on coral replacements.

"Z"

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make it as big as you can fit into chamber its in, if that 18", then thats how big I would go.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the 10 gallon water change made an impact but didn't bring down the nitrates drastically. Maybe that is a good thing to not shock the system..

What I did was vacuum the sand bed, boy that was dirty which tells me the snails are either all dead or they are not doing a good job. I vaccumed out 10 gallons of extremely dirty water.

I have another 10 gallons prepared today and will be doing another water change tonight. I might go for another ten gallon change on wednesday.

Each water change is 25% of total volume.

The affects on the system have been noticeable because the water is clear and the sand bed is white. Shame on me for not vacuuming the sand before now. I think I figured out where the leaching nitrates and po4 was coming from.

Tank does look good and I hope my next issue is fixed soon. RED BUGS!!!!

As for the Algae Scrubber, I am going to leave the one I have and might be planning a new build soon. Something AIO and independent of the sump. Rubber Maid bin will do the job.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back