Tropic Marin Plus NP reducing pH?

BlueTide

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
10
Location
Earth
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard of Plus NP significantly reducing pH? I have an established tank thats running for several years at a consistent pH of 8.4 during the day and 8.3 at night.

I just started dosing TM Plus NP 2 days ago and noticed this AM that my pH is now at 7.9!

Note, I also started dosing aminos (acro power) the same time I started Plus NP.

Searched online and havent found many cases of Plus NP or aminos reporting to lower pH when used as directed.

I understand that Plus NP contains ammonium (NH4) which in theory should lower pH, however I also understand that NH4 is a relatively weak acid. I am using both +NP and aminos as directed.

I am adding 1 pump (which equates to 1ml) per 26 gallons of +NP. System volume is 81 gallons and have been adding 3 pumps.

As far as aminos go, I am adding 15ml of acro power.

Keep in mind the tank has only received 2 doses of both.


Params as of this AM:
Alk - 8.8
Ca - 430
PO4 - 0.01
NO3 - 0
Ph: 7.9

Params as of 5/3 (taken in PM)
Alk - 8.1
Ca - 410
PO4 - 0
NO3 - 0
pH - 8.4
 
TM Plus NP includes organic carbon so some pH lowering should be expected, though the drop you see seems pretty large to me.
 
Update

Looks like I found the culprit.

The other day I noticed my skimmer wasn't producing many bubbles. Cleaned out a small mass of chaeto that got into the skimmer and was inhibiting bubble production.

The lack of gas exchange must have allowed CO2 to concentrate and cause a decline in pH.

2 days after fixing the issue my pH is back to 8.2 during the day and 8.1 at night (even while continuing to dose Plus NP).
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new