Nitrate Numbers High

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a long story short, I was over feeding the fish in my tank and that had the numbers high. I have since corrected this over feeding problem and as of say three weeks ago and the numbers I thought would be starting to go down and they aren't. Yes, I have been doing weekly water changes in the tank of about 27g a week in a 125g tank. The one thing I might be doing that is keeping my numbers high is I put two leaves of Romain lettuce in the tank each day before going to work to give the fish something to munch on during the day, I give them a piece of Nori in the evening (small). So, my question, is this Romain lettuce keeping my nitrate numbers high?

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be, but in a tank that big... i doubt it. Are they huge pieces? If they are too big, i'd guess most of it gets bit off and floats around your tank. That would increase nitrates. I recommend doing a few water changes of a bigger volume. Maybe even do your next 2 water changes at a %40 water change.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and what size fish do you have? How much live rock, what is the substrate, sump, refugium, do you have macroalgaes etc?
How often do you feed now and how much? What do you feed?
Have you checked your phosphates? Do you run carbon 24/7?

Lots of questions but they all have something to do with nitrate production and its removal.

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem in my 60g. I have no refugum and run no carbon. To bring mine down I do 3 to 4 20 gallon changes every 3 to 5 days. Tank is way over crowed, I love to over feed the fish and corals it keeps them happy.

agsansoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes isn't a good way to lower nitrates long term. Besides, huge water changes may be quite uncomfortable to your livestock.
Here what I've picked up on lowering nitrates:
- 1-2 lbs of LR per gallon.
- good water flow
- heavy protein skimming
- not overfeeding
- running bare bottom
- dosing VSV, prodibio, veovit or NeoZeo

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats one of many methods. I prefer a deep sand bed myself, bare bottom just does not look natural. With 330 lbs of Southdown sugar sand and 168 lbs of Kaelini live rock in my 100G I never see measurable nitrates. No supplements or additives required and almost zero maintenance since the DSB takes care of itself.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a long story short, I was over feeding the fish in my tank and that had the numbers high. I have since corrected this over feeding problem and as of say three weeks ago and the numbers I thought would be starting to go down and they aren't. Yes, I have been doing weekly water changes in the tank of about 27g a week in a 125g tank. The one thing I might be doing that is keeping my numbers high is I put two leaves of Romain lettuce in the tank each day before going to work to give the fish something to munch on during the day, I give them a piece of Nori in the evening (small). So, my question, is this Romain lettuce keeping my nitrate numbers high?

They didnt go up over night and not going to come back down over night. It takes longer to get them back down tho. I would cut back on the Romain and see if that helps. Let us know how it goes

Acezwild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same problem awhile back Huge water changes is what corrected it for me I did 50% changes every 3 days to I got the reading I wanted

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back