Nitrate Problems Help How do i get rid of them forever?????????????

OP
OP
gotscreensprinting

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i was scared but glad when my lfs told me i was good must have been were i placed the test kit i dont know what went wrong im going to write to api and see what they say.

OP
OP
gotscreensprinting

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my sea slug today he was found in my sump he was doing fine i noticed this morning he was in an odd place i had to leave came back collected him and put him in a container with water just to make sure he was not alive hes dead.i have a big black sea urchin he was eating him rip green.
2014-10-19 00.19.41.jpg
r.i.p green oct,2014

marquel.collinsgray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had African cichlids in the past never had that problem until I went to a community tank. Now I have that problem all the dang time

palemon.manjarrez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that problem this months in my tank the way i down the nitrate is by water change and az-no3 first check the water you use if 0 nitrate then check the water with the salt then check if 0 nitrate, some months ago my nitrate was 60!!!! Now is 2 i use red sea test have low range and high range need to be patient good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i was scared but glad when my lfs told me i was good must have been were i placed the test kit i dont know what went wrong im going to write to api and see what they say.

Well, hopefully the error was your testing and not the LFS testing. :)

MasterBlaster66T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this post and decided I should comment since I have experienced all these problems as well. Nitrates can do become a problem in an established tank after a while particularly with a heavy bioload. My tank was fine until about a year or so and then the nitrates shot up very quickly. As long as you are not seeing a lot of algae you should be ok. Also, you may have knocked the tanks cycle out of whack especially since you are registering ammonia. Give it time to balance out.
IMO API test kits can be crap, really beginner only and to get a general idea of where the tank is at.
As far as sea slugs they absolutely can be a problem in your tank, especially when they die. I had one die and it pretty much crashed my tank.
Try adding some red macro algae for long term nitrate control, and caulpera and chateo will help in the short term.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding some red macro algae for long term nitrate control, and caulpera and chateo will help in the short term.

Why red for long term, but not the others?

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue tang,foxface,neon green gobby,paired yellow gobby with shrimp,2 blue chromis,a pair of osc clowns,valentini puffer,coral beauty angel,2 blue cleaner wrasse.My corals consist of flower pots coral 3ea,watermelon coral,palys, zoas,kenya trees,mushrooms,sand sifting sea star,hermits,and cleaner shrimp.
Am I correct that this is your stock list in a 70g?

OP
OP
gotscreensprinting

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a bit much im going to get rid of my blue tang,valentini puffer,coral beauty angel,1 cleaner wrasse,2blue chromis,and my clowns im trying to trade mthem for corals i think im going to learn more of the reef aspect then get into fish.

MasterBlaster66T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae types process a little different, a variety is the best. Read up on it and it will explain more. Also plus 1 on Hanna checker for phosphate and for alk. I like Red Sea for the rest.

Myro3g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a wet dry an bio balls is where nitrates coming from. I have a wet dry I'm going to setup without the bio balls. If I keep them they will go to the bottom where they are under water.

Decalf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get rid of your fish. Just get a good dosing pump and follow the instructions for Vodka dosing. You will be able to keep everything and the nitrates to 0.

Mikesmith34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get rid of your fish. Just get a good dosing pump and follow the instructions for Vodka dosing. You will be able to keep everything and the nitrates to 0.

+1 here. Read up on vodka dosing and follow the directions. In a week or so you will begin to see the treas begin to drop out. Then it's about finding a balance between i pot and export of nutrients. Having a good skimmer and live rock are crucial parts of the plan. You do not need to get rid of the fish just some of their waste and vodka will do that. Plus it's hery cheap. On my 90 I dose 3ml a day and my tank/corals have never looked better

OP
OP
gotscreensprinting

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still want to swap out my fish but i will definately look

Into dosing the vodka if need be i love coral so i think a couple fish and all my beauties.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back