Nitrate question

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a clownfish and firefish in a quarantine tank as they had ich, the main tank is currently fishless. I did a nitrate test in the main tank it was was reading around 50ppm for some reason, salifert test kit btw, however my LFS tested it and it's around 15ppm, mine has read around 50ppm for a few months, no idea why. I know that the quarantine tank has a lot lower nitrate due to more frequent water changes on it due to medcation removal, I have not tested but let's just say its around 5ppm as an example.

My question is that when I move the fish back into the main tank that has fairly higher nitrate, how should I acclimate the fish to it? Could they be harmed by the fast spike in nitrate and how can I avoid it?

I'll be honest, I think I am using the test kit wrong although I am pretty certain I am doing it right. I will have my lfs do another test, no idea what's wrong with it though. I have been getting a lot of green hair algae growth, light is on 8hours a day. I have been feeding the main tank occasionally for the clean up crew in there, around every 4 days on average with a decent amount of brine shrimp.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no one to add to nitrate in the main tank, I can’t see 50ppm, 15 like LFS said is more likely.

Not enough flux between the two to cause a fish issue either way.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no one to add to nitrate in the main tank, I can’t see 50ppm, 15 like LFS said is more likely.

Not enough flux between the two to cause a fish issue either way.
Alright thanks
I mean it was reading around 50ppm when the fish were in there, and the LFS checked it back then and got 15ppm. Still reading 50ppm today though... Very weird, what difference in nitrate between the 2 tanks would cause an issue for the fish?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks
I mean it was reading around 50ppm when the fish were in there, and the LFS checked it back then and got 15ppm. Still reading 50ppm today though... Very weird, what difference in nitrate between the 2 tanks would cause an issue for the fish?
0-40ppm good.
Beyond 80ppm, bad maybe toxic

I ran 6 months at 50ppm with fish and corals at the start without issue. I reduced it with Nopox. Took another 4 months to come to 11ppm.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0-40ppm good.
Beyond 80ppm, bad maybe toxic

I ran 6 months at 50ppm with fish and corals at the start without issue. I reduced it with Nopox. Took another 4 months to come to 11ppm.
Oh ok then, Nopox seems good then seeing how much it reduces it. Whatever the level is in the main tank it's okay enough for LPS corals to survive. If I were to reduce it with water changes how fast would you do it? 10% daily for a week perhaps?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks
The salifert test is pretty accurate unless it's expired or been open for a long time.

Are you reading from above the vial under daylight (outdoors)?

In any case the change in Nitrate is not going to bother the fish.
It can affect things like Anemones and Urchins

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salifert test is pretty accurate unless it's expired or been open for a long time.

Are you reading from above the vial under daylight (outdoors)?

In any case the change in Nitrate is not going to bother the fish.
It can affect things like Anemones and Urchins
I read the vial through the sides using artificial light

An indicator that the nitrate is high regardless of the test is when I lost 2 blue tuxedo urchins, not sure if I acclimated too fast but none of them lasted more than 3 days.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the vial through the sides using artificial light

An indicator that the nitrate is high regardless of the test is when I lost 2 blue tuxedo urchins, not sure if I acclimated too fast but none of them lasted more than 3 days.
If you read through the side you need to divide the reading by 10.
You read from above to get a direct reading from the chart.

So your 50 reading is actually reading 5ppm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi
I have a clownfish and firefish in a quarantine tank as they had ich, the main tank is currently fishless. I did a nitrate test in the main tank it was was reading around 50ppm for some reason, salifert test kit btw, however my LFS tested it and it's around 15ppm, mine has read around 50ppm for a few months, no idea why. I know that the quarantine tank has a lot lower nitrate due to more frequent water changes on it due to medcation removal, I have not tested but let's just say its around 5ppm as an example.

My question is that when I move the fish back into the main tank that has fairly higher nitrate, how should I acclimate the fish to it? Could they be harmed by the fast spike in nitrate and how can I avoid it?

I'll be honest, I think I am using the test kit wrong although I am pretty certain I am doing it right. I will have my lfs do another test, no idea what's wrong with it though. I have been getting a lot of green hair algae growth, light is on 8hours a day. I have been feeding the main tank occasionally for the clean up crew in there, around every 4 days on average with a decent amount of brine shrimp.
May be false reading but if true is a little high for fish as 40 would be a max allowable for many specimens. Get a second opinion by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be false reading but if true is a little high for fish as 40 would be a max allowable for many specimens. Get a second opinion by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Good idea, will do that, cheers

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read through the side you need to divide the reading by 10.
You read from above to get a direct reading from the chart.

So your 50 reading is actually reading 5ppm
Oh really?? I heard something about that on youtube video before but never actually thought about it, I should have read instructions better. Is that for all sides of the vial or just one? 5ppm is a respectable reading, correct?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really?? I heard something about that on youtube video before but never actually thought about it, I should have read instructions better. Is that for all sides of the vial or just one? 5ppm is a respectable reading, correct?
Read the instructions for each test kit as some may say read through the side and others from the top... But yes, 5 is fine and actually on the low side if you have coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back