Nitrate Test Kit Shoot out: NYOS Salifert RedSea API

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suggested to post this here and may be of interest.

Based off another thread that sparked my interest to test out a new Nyos Nitrate test kit that others were liking and comparing it to other kits I ordered a few in plus the API and Red Sea Pro I already had.

What I'm about to go over I've gone over many times in many threads so the meat and potatoes will be in a following post and the rest of this post can be ignored which I'm sure it will be anyways if not the entire thread.

And a recent one I just posted and got results in today on various tests I do and abilities to do them so it was a me(and reliability of hobby kits) vs. Triton.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hobbyist-vs-triton-testing.221320/

I've always been a fan of API when I can use them as they are cheap, consistent for me, and accurate enough for me. I don't try or want to try to run a ULNS system. I aim to be in a range for pretty much all parameters based on what Randy Holms-Farley lists over in this great article
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o...-reef-aquarium-by-randy-holmes-farley.173563/

I find the key to getting consistent results is making sure I do all the tests ( from prep, execution, reading, and clean up) is done as exactly the same as possible every time along with making sure the reagents are not close to expiring.

So, with all that said here it goes. My results from tonight will follow this post and what I plan to do next will be at the end. As in the next week or so I have more tests and comparisons to do.

0b3289951799b993cf1806336f6526dd.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'll start off with API. It's definitely the cheapest @ ~$9-$15 depending on where you find it. Which is another plus for these. You can find API just about anywhere. I picked this one up and my LFS.

The biggest con for this kit is that it's not designed for ultra low ranges. Which for me is OK. I'm just looking to be bellow 5 and that's easy to see the difference between 0 and 5 on the color chart. At least for me it is.

Testing wise its also not the easiest as bottle two you really really really really really have to shake the snot out of it.

One other note brought up before is the accuracy of the vial. Well, its not accurate. Or at least I've never depended on it. I draw 5ml out with a syringe but it seems to line up pretty close when I've thought to look.

1a322e47246d7751baa7d45cc1d51522.jpg

a104d7769640d3ca31cd2d65386876fd.jpg

As for the results, they are just as I've always gotten.
0cbddcec3308311b2cb84af7426efc0e.jpg

2f16fa1ee051d8bd9218be5ca29eb7dc.jpg

I read that as undetectable or according to API as 0. In fact I don't ever remember having a nitrate problem. I've had plenty of PO4 problems and mainly from pukani dry rock leaching like mad for over a year before it was known that they do that. Only if I knew then what I knew now and lanthanum chloride would have been extremely helpful. But carbon dosing did wonders for me and I learned a lot.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, Salifert.

This had to be the easiest and quickest test to perform. It also was the hardest to read. I could see this being near impossible for some.

It is moderately priced around $20-$28. It is able to make readings under 5. Though it was based on hoping the "magnification" was multiplied by 10. I find that rather silly.

Testing was just a quick swirling around the reagent, spoon of the next reagent, swirling around a bit, and waiting a few minutes. Quick and easy.

Now the results on the other hand.
For the high range you look from above.

OK I see 0
8a77ebadaa0956a0f54e102ea973e0ec.jpg

So then you have to look from the side and divide the result by ten depending on the magnification being accurate to get the low range.

So, I think somewhere between 10 and 25 but closer to 10 or 1 and 2.5
94b47768fcbdefeda2a7de5900905b8f.jpg

On the plus side its definitely below 5. Way easier and quicker than doing the API kit of drip, mix, SHAKE/POUND/SLAM/SHAKE, drip, mix, and then wait 5 minutes.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On to Red Sea. I've not been a fan of the Red Sea kits in the past. It's like they try really hard to make you think you have lab grade stuff and make the testing have more steps or difficult then really necessary in what I guess is trying to make you feel like you're ready to wear a lab coat. This is after using several different kits of theirs.

The main kits themselves are around $25-$35. But with these you can just buy the reagents. For the nitrate reagents they are around $15-$20.

That trying really hard to feel like a lab grade test kit was still there on opening and using this kit again. More steps with this one then any of the other kits (no carpal tunnel risk though) and takes longer. Last wait time at the end being 9 minutes. Not a huge deal but something to note.

But taking a reading is probably the easiest of them all when dealing with the lower ranges. The amount of sample water is the most allowing the color be more apparent. But it is all based on the shades of the same color. I could see some color blind people having a hard time with this one as well.

If I were trying for a ULNS system and trying to determine and track these lower ranges this would be the one I would go with.

It was hard for me to get a picture of this but what I read is between 1 and 2 which lines up with what Salifert was reading as well.
1363bf0ec044becc54ae11ff1655811c.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last and maybe least is the Nyos nitrate test kit. I was excited for this one. Heard lots of how easy and precise and accurate etc etc it is compared to everything else. I was rather let down I think.

Moderately priced and comparable with Salifert. ~$25. Basic box and packaging as well. This was more like the red sea resting procedure with two vials and matching against each other along the color sheet. I did find the wheel easy to use and read but the sheet is much easier to store.

Testing wasn't any quicker then Salifert and found the reading of it to be negligibly easier if not the same. The water sample is small but a little more then the Salifert. Red Sea has a nice big sample making the concentration of color easier to read.

So, for my reading tonight. I think I am reading slightly under 1 with the Nyos. Under what both Red Sea and Salifert reds. Plus the resolution jumps from 0, 1, 3 and then big jumps after that. Not nearly as fine as redsea or Salifert. If I'm going to spend the money on the lower readings I would rather a smaller jump.

Again, sorry hard to get a picture. But what I read as just under 1.
60e9d50a544bce5c3fa1990acaa690ba.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I'm happy with API, Salifert, and Red Sea. Kind of disappointed in Nyos.

API:
Pros:
-Cheap
-Accurate enough for those not looking for ULNS or trying to track low ranges
- Can be found just about anywhere
- Color changes from 0, 5, and 10 are fairly easy to read

Cons:
-Bottle #2 takes a lot of shaking and beating.
-Can't rely on vials accuracy but it would be negligible to the results if you do as this isn't looking for ultra low ranges.
- above 10 until you hit 80 the color changes are harder to read but really if you are in those ranges you may want to consider reducing nitrates IMO

Salifert:
Pros:
-Very easy to perform the test
-Quick
- Simple
-Can get into the lower ranges

Cons:
-low ranges depends on magnification (though seemed to match up against the other low range tests)
- Cost is moderately priced so barely a con
- Hardest or ties with hardest to read for the low ranges

Red Sea Pro:
Pros:
- Easiest to read
- Can read into the lower ranges
- Reagents can be purchased separately making long term costs slightly cheaper

Cons:
-More steps and longer to test then others. More steps could give cause to more user error and bad reagents
- initial cost of kit is higher
- labeled "pro" but it is still a hobby test kit

Nyos:
Pros:
- Can read into the lower ranges
- fairly easy to execute the test

Cons:
- cost slightly higher
- not as high of a resolution into the lower ranges as Salifert or Red Sea. Does not go below 1 and jumps to 3.
- not quite so easy to read into the lower resolutions

After all that. I'm actually considering the Salifert Nitrate as the test for me. As I don't test all that often and when I do I really just want to do something as quick and easy as possible and to see if I'm below 5. Salifert was the easiest and quickest IMO. Reading if it was under 5 was easy as well. Even though it's more expensive then the API which has always been my go to.

If I wanted to get into the lower ranges then I would consider Red Sea for its ease of reading. The wheel and the larger amount of water used was helpful.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, coming up in the next week or so I'll be doing another round of Nitrate tests but also including Aquamedic's AWT testing which has been questionable in the past. But I do see they include Nitrate in their testing.

Along with that though I will be pretty much testing every kit and probe I have against AWT and Triton. So, it will be Me vs. AWT vs. Triton battle royal. :D

3add2f53658a630a33648cbfa571a729.jpg

Those plus a Salifert Phosphate, Calcium, and Alk test. I think I'll be done testing for the next 5 years after that.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not that id have the $$ to test but is it possible to do any of this with ammonia testing
excellent comparison thread nice going.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not that id have the $$ to test but is it possible to do any of this with ammonia testing
excellent comparison thread nice going.

Sorry, I have no desire to do it with ammonia. I did do it with Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium in the past. API cut the mustard for Alk and Calcium as long as you are are looking to be in a general range and not precise numbers. Salifert I preferred for Mg.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually considering the Salifert Nitrate as the test for me. As I don't test all that often and when I do I really just want to do something as quick and easy as possible and to see if I'm below 5. Salifert was the easiest and quickest IMO. Reading if it was under 5 was easy as well. Even though it's more expensive then the API which has always been my go to.

If I wanted to get into the lower ranges then I would consider Red Sea for its ease of reading. The wheel and the larger amount of water used was helpful.

I agree with you 100%. For clients tanks I use Salifert because it's quick, easy, and accurate enough for most tanks. There's no way I'm doing a 10-minute nitrate test on clients' tanks. :confused: I've also found Salifert to be easy to use for very high nitrate as well (~750 ppm) by mixing as low as 0.1 mL tank water with 0.9 mL freshly mixed saltwater using a 1 mL syringe. It works well enough to know whereabouts you are, and follows along as you're making progress.

For my own tank (which tests under 1 ppm), I use Red Sea Pro. With my own kits, Salifert tests lower than Red Sea when testing below 1 ppm (which is negligible). I go through kits so fast with my business that my kits are never more than a few months old depending which one. I haven't used the Red Sea Pro on any medium or high nutrient tanks yet - I should.

Using stock nitrate solutions, and my own maths (hehe), Red Sea is as accurate as your ability to match colors. :D I used my own stock solution to train my eye to see what 0.25 ppm and 0.5 ppm look like as I've noticed (and I see in your pics too) that testing below 1 ppm the Red Sea Pro kit shows a slight blue hue that isn't shown in the color match wheel. I'm very confident that I am able to very accurately read the Red Sea test kit. I'm going to get my tank Triton tested too, and I'll be going through my own smattering of test kits to compare as well. Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try JBL 6 in 1 test strips. Shows both nitrate and nitrite. Nothing can be easier then strips. :) using for two years without problems.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply's. I wasn't expecting to change my mind or learn anything but I may have and it was worth it. Hope someone can get something out of it too.

Try JBL 6 in 1 test strips. Shows both nitrate and nitrite. Nothing can be easier then strips. :) using for two years without problems.

I would have a hard time trusting in the reliability of a test strip. I didn't look but I can't imagine the resolution that we are looking for would be available either. Though I am watching the development of the iDip device but it's basically dissolving a reagent into the sample water from the strip so a little different I guess.

I don't see JBL 6 in 1 strips here in the US. Looks the same as the Tetra 6-n-1 ?
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-19542-EasyStrips-Strips-25-Count/dp/B0053PR7P8

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have a hard time trusting in the reliability of a test strip. I didn't look but I can't imagine the resolution that we are looking for would be available either. Though I am watching the development of the iDip device but it's basically dissolving a reagent into the sample water from the strip so a little different I guess.

I don't see JBL 6 in 1 strips here in the US. Looks the same as the Tetra 6-n-1 ?
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-19542-EasyStrips-Strips-25-Count/dp/B0053PR7P8
I guess its working on same principles. In trusting strips, guidelines says dip it into water and check results after 60 secs. Well this is valid for FW. For SW, you should wait 5 minutes. I can say this, after spending about 200 strips in two years, using them along with Salifert nitrate to double-check. Its not showing nitrate amount in a fine scale but at least you can say you have nitrates and its in 10s, or 20-50 range, or over 50... In most cases, this is enough for me.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess its working on same principles. In trusting strips, guidelines says dip it into water and check results after 60 secs. Well this is valid for FW. For SW, you should wait 5 minutes. I can say this, after spending about 200 strips in two years, using them along with Salifert nitrate to double-check. Its not showing nitrate amount in a fine scale but at least you can say you have nitrates and its in 10s, or 20-50 range, or over 50... In most cases, this is enough for me.

If it can consistently produce a result in a range you're looking for then I'm all for it.

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Jbl brand there are 50 strips in the box. If you cut it vertically, makes 100 strips *grin*
I believe it worths to check, especially if you currently have nitrates and trying to get rid of it. This means several tests ahead, sometimes daily. This is my case :)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fairly low resolution and jumps out of the ranges I'm looking to be in. For a new start up maybe a fine choice to see when nitrites are reduced and nitrates are peaked.

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you are looking to differentiate under 10, this is useless. My nitrates were around 20-30 for a long time, so I made a good use of it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back