So I did it…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally pulled the trigger on a bigger set up. 300 gallons! Plan is to combine my 70 and 125 together and get rid of them. My only issue is I have two clown pairs in both of these tanks. My maroon pair, and adult pair, darwin and black ice. Big question is this being a 8 foot 300 gallon tank is there any chance these two pairs would not kill each other? I have an alternative plan but I just thought I would ask and see what people think on this idea?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I finally pulled the trigger on a bigger set up. 300 gallons! Plan is to combine my 70 and 125 together and get rid of them. My only issue is I have two clown pairs in both of these tanks. My maroon pair, and adult pair, darwin and black ice. Big question is this being a 8 foot 300 gallon tank is there any chance these two pairs would not kill each other? I have an alternative plan but I just thought I would ask and see what people think on this idea?
I would not risk another pair as you want to start the transfer off right. You have choices with this size tank as for additions of many other fish
Congrats
Now you'll find out why bigger is better :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving them all into a new home will help matters. Definitely try and get them to settle on opposite sides. I would be prepared for issues and have acclimation boxes handy. Could also try and place a divider at the beginning for extra safety. These things don't tend to go well though.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marrons? I once had a pair take over a entire tank, I’m to paranoid to even buy them anymore…

Added: right now I have 3 pairs of dissimilar clowns in a 210ish tank…It was working until it didn’t: a couple of nems melted …. I’m afraid gonna have to tear down the whole tank to get the fish out….

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not risk another pair as you want to start the transfer off right. You have choices with this size tank as for additions of many other fish
Congrats
Now you'll find out why bigger is better :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thank you! :) makes sense, kinda figured that was the case but thought I would ask. Also wanted to ask you, what of the larger tangs is a good center piece? Really want a colorful one!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving them all into a new home will help matters. Definitely try and get them to settle on opposite sides. I would be prepared for issues and have acclimation boxes handy. Could also try and place a divider at the beginning for extra safety. These things don't tend to go well though.
Yeah kinda figured. Ill just do my original plan and put the maroons in the big one since they get bigger. Ill move the black pair into my 32 reef.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koi scopas tang has always been my favorite

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marrons? I once had a pair take over a entire tank, I’m to paranoid to even buy them anymore…

Added: right now I have 3 pairs of dissimilar clowns in a 210ish tank…It was working until it didn’t: a couple of nems melted …. I’m afraid gonna have to tear down the whole tank to get the fish out….
Lol mine are sweet! My female is very mild tempered. (Shes 3 to 4 inches now). The male likes to attack the algae scrubber but thats about it! I love them, beautiful. The last picture is the other pair

Attachments

• IMG_5161.jpeg
    IMG_5161.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4885.jpeg
    IMG_4885.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! You going reef or fowlr?
Fowlr, both those tanks are fowlr already. I also love angels, I have a red sea regal and a juv french angel right now and will 100% be adding an emperor angel as thats my dream fish. All would probably decimate corals lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Those are the ones with different colors right?
Generally blue and yellow/white and get to an easy 8" at a price (at least $600+)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! :) makes sense, kinda figured that was the case but thought I would ask. Also wanted to ask you, what of the larger tangs is a good center piece? Really want a colorful one!
Powder blue - But you already know. Choice: Chocolate, Gem and white tail bristletooth

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue - But you already know. Choice: Chocolate, Gem and white tail bristletooth
I have a yellow, naso, powder brown and a blue lip bristletooth going in, and the tank comes with a very large purple and sailfin tang. Would that powder blue be better behaved in this size tank if it was dead last? They really are beautiful…

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a Idol, I promise you anyone seeing your tank for the first time will notice that fish first, guaranteed
Ive always wanted one! I just get nervous with the kinds of fish I have with them, especially the triggers. The 3 of them get a long just fine but Ive seen some people have them start going after idols

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock (with the fish I have from both tanks and that come with the tank)
Tangs x8
Angels x2
Triggers x4
Eels x2
Porcupine puffer
HQ tusk
Marine betta
Dwarf lionfish
Foxface
Dart gobies x3
Chromis x3
Butterfly x2
Dottyback
Clowns
Damsels x2
Hawkfish
Engineer goby
Blenny

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will not work. 125 + 70 = 195, you will have to make up 105 gallons to fill up the new monster tank .

Good move!

What about live rock for the new tank?

I would break down one tank of the old tanks but keep one running while the new tank is getting up to speed.

Those clownfish won’t be able to find the other pair in the new sea.

Love it!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! Can’t wait to see it set up

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will not work. 125 + 70 = 195, you will have to make up 105 gallons to fill up the new monster tank .

Good move!

What about live rock for the new tank?

I would break down one tank of the old tanks but keep one running while the new tank is getting up to speed.

Those clownfish won’t be able to find the other pair in the new sea.

Love it!
Oh yeah for sure! I was more saying Im combining the livestock! And I planned on pulling all my rock from both tanks to the new tank plus some extra dry rock I have sitting around. Also going with fine sand and not a super deep sandbed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 137 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back