Nitrate Test - Switch? Salifert vs Hanna

sleeri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Salifert Nitrate test kit for about a year now. It’s fine, but I’d rather not deal with the color matching. Considering switching to the Hanna Checker. I use a Hanna for Alk and really like it. What are the opinions on Hanna vs. Salifert for nitrate? Is Hanna quicker and easier to read? Thanks all!

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna is a little Of a pain in the a of a test, but it gives you a number instead of trying to guess. I find it difficult to see anything on the Salifert

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you keep No3 at. Hanna might be worth the time if keeping low nutrient tank. I like nyos it’s fast and easy keep no3 5-10ish and I’m happy

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even a close competition. Salifert is worlds easier. Hanna takes like 15 minutes to complete the whole procedure, minimum, and is only really good to have if you keep NO3 under 5 PPM and need a very specific number.

Basically, if you want to ride the line just above zero, get the Hanna. If you just need a decent enough idea of where you are, Salifert wins hands down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hanna is very user friendly and reagents very easy to acquire

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Hana...the first time doing the test it took me about 15 minutes, no requirement to look at colors!

OP
OP
S

sleeri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it probably isn’t worth switching. I’m going to look into NYOS though. My NO3 is generally 1-2 ppm per Salifert test kit.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it probably isn’t worth switching. I’m going to look into NYOS though. My NO3 is generally 1-2 ppm per Salifert test kit.
I just checked my Nyos kit. At that low end the Nitrate scale is 0, 1, 3, 5, 12 .... So depending upon how “accurate” you want your readings this might not work for you. I’m usually running between 3-8 so I’m comfortable with NYOS.

I know with Salifert you can read through the side of the vial and then divide by ten for more accuracy on the low end. Nyos doesn’t have that.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Salifert Nitrate test kit for about a year now. It’s fine, but I’d rather not deal with the color matching. Considering switching to the Hanna Checker. I use a Hanna for Alk and really like it. What are the opinions on Hanna vs. Salifert for nitrate? Is Hanna quicker and easier to read? Thanks all!

I have had good experiences with the Hanna Checkers...Here is a link to my evaluation of the HI-781 Nitrate Checker https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...trite-interference.783628/page-2#post-8556446 ....Post # 29

Might help

Rick

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hanna for everything except Mag (Red Sea), Stront, Iodine, Ammonia (all Salifert) and Salinity (refracometer). Each one required a slight learning curve but, even with the time involved in a couple of them, they are well worth it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back