Nitrate value suggested ReaSea is FALSE

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g mix reef tank 65% LPS and 35% SPS. I had my nitrate level about 7 to 10 and the LPS were doing well. Then I found out RedSea recommended a nitrate level of 1-2ppm for mix reef. I have reduced the nitrate to 2ppm. I did this because I wanted fast growth for the SPS.

By reducing the nitrate to a low level. My LPS has suffered significantly. I killed 2 x tiger torches and 1 scoly. Goni, acans, scolies, hammers and plate corals have done poorly. Realizing what I have done, I have increased nitrate level back to where it was and the LPS begins to recover and do much better.

From my experience, nitrate level of 1 to 2 is a death sentence for some of the LPS I mentioned. I could have wiped out all the LPS. I have trusted a reputable brand and cost me some of my beautiful corals.

Lesson learned for me.

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you reduce your nitrate? By reducing ammonia (feeding) or targeting the nitrate itself (carbon dosing)?

In my experience LPS will do fine at traceable nitrate. Meaning you export it quickly but have plenty of nitrogen available otherwise.

Im not a believer nitrate plays a significant role for LPS if enough nitrogen is available.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you reduce your nitrate? By reducing ammonia (feeding) or targeting the nitrate itself (carbon dosing)?

In my experience LPS will do fine at traceable nitrate. Meaning you export it quickly but have plenty of nitrogen available otherwise.

Im not a believer nitrate plays a significant role for LPS if enough nitrogen is available.
Less feeding and dosing RedSea NO POx

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically reducing Nitrates will also reduce Phosphates. Did you measure your phosphates also? In my experience, LPS suffer more with lower phosphates than lower Nitrates.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically reducing Nitrates will also reduce Phosphates. Did you measure your phosphates also? In my experience, LPS suffer more with lower phosphates than lower Nitrate

phosphate is 0.03. I was not too concern too much on phospate because my understanding is very little phosphate is required for LPS and SPS. Unless my understand is wrong.

Last edited:

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphate is 0.03
When I kept the inorganic phosphates at that level withput having organic phosphates my LPS will not have nice polyp extension and will eventually starve. Inorganic phosphate is what you can measure with test kits. Organic phosphates cannot be measured with the test kits we have at home. Organic phosphates is what keeps our reef and corals happy. So if you know you have orangic phosphate in your reef system, then you can have lower inorganic phosphate levels as measured in our teat kits and still have a happy reef tank.

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed more and continue with nopox.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing numbers can backfire

Some of the measurements here may surprise you

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They recommend those low no3/po4 levels for when you're buying their huge suite of supplement products to keep the corals fed while they're starving.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will find different sources say different N/P levels. i generally go off of a happy medium, with others that have a similar tank, and lower nutrients. 2 imo is too little, and would say 5 to 8 for nitrate is probably a sweet spot for many, but there are those out there that have higher nitrate levels that have reefs that work out for them. i personally have about 20 nitrates. my softies and LPS obviously love it. my SPS arent dying from it, but i feel it is probably the reason why i have no polyp extension on half of them (they came from a tank with less than 5 nitrate and were fully open in that tank). on the other hand, i have some SPS that have excellent polyp extension in the same environment.

Back