Nitrate

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone give me the straight dope on the importance of a particular level of Nitrate? I've always been encouraged by my LFS to aim for Zero nitrates, but my understanding is zero ain't good. I do feed flake, but my nitrates (and phosphates) are consistently non existent. The corals are not dying, but I would like to see better color and faster growth, if possible.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, there's plenty of those around though. My understanding on Nitrates is that you want some in your system for corals and maybe even all of the CUC and microfauna in your tank. Ideally you'd have .0001 nitrates since that would mean all of the nitrates were being used and you had the smallest possible leftover nitrates in your tank. I can't measure nitrates that low so I aim for 5 ppm like most on here do. I don't keep sticks so I'm not sure what the SPS crowd likes their nitrates to be. If nothing else this post will serve as another bump.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero nitrate and phosphates are not recommended it can affect the color of corals. Soft corals and lps need some nutrients. There is a type of system ULNS or ultra low nutrient system a type of SPS system that is run close to zero and changes the color of the coral

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one else is chiming in.
Id say 5 to 10 ppm nitrate and less than 0.1 ppm phosphate is ok for most corals as long as the changes are not quick.
As to the importance, I think these are indicators of the level of tank nutrients that corals use to grow and stay healthy.
There is much discussion if you search these forums.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back