Nitrates and Phosphates

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be fun! ...here comes an opinion debate lol

i need to start using top-of-the line Nitrate and Phosphate tests kits. Who has the best?

Go!

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos for nitrate. Not sure if it is “top of the line” because of the scale that it uses, but it’s easy to read and I get consistent results.

I use Hanna’s phosphate ULR checker for phosphate. People complain about the timer, but I’ve never had a single issue.

Understanding that all chemical tests are hobby-grade, the checker is using a sensor that is Also hobby-grade. However, I trust a sensor from test to test more than I trust my eye to discern color from test to test, therefore when Hanna’s nitrate checker becomes available, I’ll be buying that too.

Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos for nitrate. Not sure if it is “top of the line” because of the scale that it uses, but it’s easy to read and I get consistent results.

I use Hanna’s phosphate ULR checker for phosphate. People complain about the timer, but I’ve never had a single issue.

Understanding that all chemical tests are hobby-grade, the checker is using a sensor that is Also hobby-grade. However, I trust a sensor from test to test more than I trust my eye to discern color from test to test, therefore when Hanna’s nitrate checker becomes available, I’ll be buying that too.

Just my $0.02.
Right there with ya Bruh!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What direction are you going for lights Shawn ?
I just bought some stuff today (don’t have it yet) I have my three Hydra LEDs. I just bought the AquaticLife 61" T5HO X18 Hybrid NON-Dimmable Fixture. I also just got the PAR meter I ordered (Apogee MQ-510) Once I get the new T5s insltalled, my PAR meter will let me know if I need more.

I’ll add more LED if needed.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fails... someone always mentions something I am clueless about. ...Until just now I have never heard of Homebrewer... googling it right now : )

And you are the 2nd to mention it!
Ah no, I was agreeing with what user @Homebrewer said at the very top of this thread (all of his points--NYOS for nitrate, Hanna ULR for phosphate, and Hanna for nitrate when that device becomes available, which should be soon).

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah no, I was agreeing with what user @Homebrewer said at the very top of this thread (all of his points--NYOS for nitrate, Hanna ULR for phosphate, and Hanna for nitrate when that device becomes available, which should be soon).
Oops, missed that lol... sorry.

Saturday Night... Scotch is now involved lol

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Salifert for both and have been very happy. I also have a Hanna Phosphate checker but question its accuracy. It reads twice what the Salifert reads. I have not purchased the calibration vials for the Hanna Checker so it may need calibration first.
Good info

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back