Nitrates API test?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but your skimmer may solve it as well if it was dead. That will take a good 2 to 3 weeks to see if that is the solution first so it can start clearing the water column out. Good luck man.
+1 :)

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another 4 gallon change.... still hovering around 25. API test confirmed and read around 20. Is a bigger change at once needed? This is driving me nuts. Would a dead snail I just can't see or account for slowly continue to raise my nitrates, or would that be one large release and be over?

IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's not AF Pro-Bio or TM Bio Actif salt mix.

I don't see why a 50% water change would hurt but that's JMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 10 gallon change. We will see what we have tonight test wise... grabbed a phosphate test at the LFS as well to see where I stand there.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet your Nitrates will start coming down and stay down now that the skimmer is fixed. You'll still have to do a few more water changes to get it out though. I had a clogged elbow in my Tunze skimmer, didn't realize it for a while and my nitrates soared to about 25ppm. Once I figured out what was going on I got them back down in a couple weeks with water changes and they've stayed down around 4ppm.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet your Nitrates will start coming down and stay down now that the skimmer is fixed.
+1
I'm hoping his nitrates will stay down since the skimmer is fixed but he needs to bring them down first with water changes and then we can see if the skimmer can capture enough organics to hold his lowered nitrates from the water changes. :)

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Adam113 in theory (logically speaking), you would've thought any WC (specifically big WC) would bring down No3 as you putting in zero No3 water in replacement ...

In reality, this isn't always the case and has happened to me in the past; as a hobbyist, I can't and don't know how to explain this.

One thing that you maybe able to do is to increase your media so that beneficial bacterias can populate them ... it can be in form of live rocks , Siporax or Marine Pure Blocks ... if you want, you can also start dosing Carbon (if desired).

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3222.JPG

Certainly is lighter after the change. Quick question. Are you supposed to read the center of the vial, or the edges (where it's a bit deeper which makes the color darker)?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3222.JPG

Certainly is lighter after the change. Quick question. Are you supposed to read the center of the vial, or the edges (where it's a bit deeper which makes the color darker)?
From my screen it does look like it has come down a pretty good bit.

Have you read how to do the side ways test with your vial and color card to double check when you get down to low range?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color comparison:

a. Medium range: Place test vial on white part of color chart and compare colors looking from the top. Use diffuse daylight when comparing colors. If the color corresponds to a value lower than 10 mg/L nitrate, then it might be better to compare colors as shown for the low range.

b. range: If the medium range color comparison gave a reading lower than 10 mg/L, then you can use the low range procedure. This will increase accuracy. Compare the color for the low range procedure by looking through the side of the test vial. Hold the white part of the color chart firmly against the opposite side of the test vial. Use diffuse daylight when comparing colors. The color is amplified by approximately 10-fold so you have to divide the color chart values by 10.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight's tests.

Just got the Seachem phosphate test kit as well to see where I was there. What do y'all think it's trading there?
IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question #1:
Have you made anymore water changes since your last post on the 10 gallon water change?

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
Question #2:
Do your feel like your nitrates read the same as they did last night after that 10 gallon water change?

Looks pretty close. It's tough because I'm reading tonight's as the sun has already gone down. Artificial light/shadows thrown sucks for reading these tests.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty close. It's tough because I'm reading tonight's as the sun has already gone down. Artificial light/shadows thrown sucks for reading these tests.
I agree.
At least for the short term, you can say that your skimmer fix is pulling enough organics to keep your nitrates pretty stable. :)

I'll take a crank at your nitrates... How about 16???

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.
At least for the short term, you can say that your skimmer fix is pulling enough organics to keep your nitrates pretty stable. :)

I'll take a crank at your nitrates... How about 16???

And phosphates!? Haha, I've literally never tested my phosphates. Look pretty low though to me.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And phosphates!? Haha, I've literally never tested my phosphates. Look pretty low though to me.
Do you think your hovering close to 15 or 16 on the nitrates?

I run they Hanna ulr checker for phos.
But (lol) my 19 year old daughter just looked as said your phos. is in-between .07 - .08???????

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think your hovering close to 15 or 16 on the nitrates?

I run they Hanna ulr checker for phos.
But (lol) my 19 year old daughter just looked as said your phos. is in-between .07 - .08???????

I think both of those numbers seem pretty close, yeah. I'm doing my normal scheduled water changes tomorrow on my tanks, so this tank will get another 5 gallon change.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back