Nitrates API test?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, haven't made a change since I got the Salifert. Just got home an hour ago and saw it on my front porch :)
When did you do that 25% water change?

Also, Do you make your own RO/DI water and does your unit have a built in TDS meter?

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you do that 25% water change?

Also, Do you make your own RO/DI water and does your unit have a built in TDS meter?

I did two 3 or so gallon water changes a couple days apart. The last one was Tuesday I believe. I've bought my RODI water from my LFS from day one. I've always just tested the salinity before changes.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up on this kit on the forum, easiest to compare for me at the low ranges... It can also be used at the higher ranges. If necessary... You are much higher than the 4ppm on the low range color wheel. Red Sea Pro... Might consider in the future...

nitrate.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did two 3 or so gallon water changes a couple days apart. The last one was Tuesday I believe. I've bought my RODI water from my LFS from day one. I've always just tested the salinity before changes.
1) Can you test their water with your new Salifert kit?
2) In your cube, what kind of filter media do you run? (Like any kind of man made Bio Media or Bio Balls)

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2) In your cube, what kind of filter media do you run? (Like any kind of man made Bio Media or Bio Balls)

I haven't tested their water for anything but salinity. I will do tonight, but my other tank (10g NUVO) which I use the same water in, is reading less than 5PPM nitrates.

I keep filtration in my tank very simple and try to let the live rock and nature take care of it biofiltration wise.

1. I run the stock biocube filter cartridge and change every water change (weekly) or every other water change depending on the junk it has caught.

2.I also run a small bag of marine land activated carbon that I change every other water change.

3. And the stock filter sponge before return pump that I clean every water change.

4. The 29g cube has about 35 lbs of live rock.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm asking about bio media because of this article and I've seen it happen in my own reef with man made bio media in my reactors.

Take in his entire article and read his point #5. (lol) Slowly.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RODI showing 0PPM. Just did a 2 gallon water change to empty my jug. Heading to LFS to pick up a few things.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api is good for, i got none, or i got some, or lots. Thats what i use it for. Mine was completely yellow so i dosed nitrate now i got 10-25ppm. Po4 is zero. The purpose was to bring down po4 more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my results after the small water change earlier to empty my jug. Still looks closer to 25% to me.

One thing I did just realize this morning was that my protein skimmer has had the same stone in it since my father had the tank three years ago... I didn't realize there was something to change in the skimmer until I started reading up a bit. No wonder I wasn't getting any bubbling anymore... the stone was all clogged up. New one will be here tomorrow. Perhaps this could have contributed to the nitrate jump?

IMG_3035.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your biocube and how many gallons is it rated at?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my results after the small water change earlier to empty my jug. Still looks closer to 25% to me.

One thing I did just realize this morning was that my protein skimmer has had the same stone in it since my father had the tank three years ago... I didn't realize there was something to change in the skimmer until I started reading up a bit. No wonder I wasn't getting any bubbling anymore... the stone was all clogged up. New one will be here tomorrow. Perhaps this could have contributed to the nitrate jump?

IMG_3035.JPG
jump no, no decrease yes.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 4 gallon change today, and cleaned and reassembled my protein skimmer with the new block (the old one literally fell apart). I've never seen this thing bubble like this...

Going to do tests in a bit.
IMG_3057.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 4 gallon change today, and cleaned and reassembled my protein skimmer with the new block (the old one literally fell apart). I've never seen this thing bubble like...
You Da Man!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3069.JPG

This is going to start driving me insane... 4 gallon change yesterday.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing a great job at diagnosing the problem. One change at a time. Keep doing it like this. I don't ever trust RODI water from LFS. It's shady they say it's good but you don't know if you don't test. I would go on Amazon and get you a TDS meter the cost is minimal for the use you'll get out of it. It will pay for itself in the first use. http://amzn.to/2qPX0YX Here's the one I use. I bet you get a reading of 9 or higher from the LFS water. If so that is a part of it. Second try putting some pods in. They can help clean up the waste a bit more. Third what kind of rock did use? Lastly if you have an open spot some where put a hand full of Seachem matrix or pond matrix in a bag for extra biological filtration growth. Keep changing one thing at a time though until the problem is solved. I feel the water is the factor, but your skimmer may solve it as well if it was dead. That will take a good 2 to 3 weeks to see if that is the solution first so it can start clearing the water column out. Good luck man.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing a great job at diagnosing the problem. One change at a time. Keep doing it like this. I don't ever trust RODI water from LFS. It's shady they say it's good but you don't know if you don't test. I would go on Amazon and get you a TDS meter the cost is minimal for the use you'll get out of it. It will pay for itself in the first use. http://amzn.to/2qPX0YX Here's the one I use. I bet you get a reading of 9 or higher from the LFS water. If so that is a part of it. Second try putting some pods in. They can help clean up the waste a bit more. Third what kind of rock did use? Lastly if you have an open spot some where put a hand full of Seachem matrix or pond matrix in a bag for extra biological filtration growth. Keep changing one thing at a time though until the problem is solved. I feel the water is the factor, but your skimmer may solve it as well if it was dead. That will take a good 2 to 3 weeks to see if that is the solution first so it can start clearing the water column out. Good luck man.

Thanks! You mentioned pods. I'm still very new to reefs compared to many. I've never really grasped pods. Can you just add them? I know I've read about people "growing" them, and it seems like they've put a lot of labor into that.

I did add a diamond Goby a while ago... has he depleted my pods? (Is that what they eat??) thankfully he chows down on any prepared food. He did some major sand sifting the first month though.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a young tank it can take a really long time for pods to appear. They would come in with any new corals if you don't dip. You could add like a small bag late at night so they can find hiding spots. Yes your fish eat them if they see them. I had a damsel eat every last one in my tank. He was the only fish and it had loads of pods. You don't even feed them. They take care of themselfs, but you have to add them when the fish are asleep otherwise they attack like it's feeding time. A goby could get all there was in there. People try growing them to feed, but you could pick them up online or at the LFS. If I can remember the bottle I tried I will add it here for you.

Last edited:
Back