Nitrates API test?

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an easier way to test nitrates besides trying to match up colors that are .0001 different in the color spectrum?

This is my latest test on my biocube. It had always been around 5ppm. Not sure if I got a die off or what, but it jumped up to the first pic. After water change and a carbon bag change, it's down to the second pic, but still not as low as I'm used to. And I can't quite tell exactly where it is! It seems like any lighting change or any shadow cast COMPLETELY changes the reading.
IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
squint your eye at it and look for contrasts between the colors rather than trying to match the colors.

those are almost exactly the same, only slightly lower.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,
When I squint, it's like 20ppm.

JMO...
Buy the Salifert kit. :)

Will be here Wednesday. The rest of the API kits I can read pretty accurately. This nitrate one is always a pain and is really the only level that fluctuates. Not sure what's causing this little spike... I believe it is me over feeding to ensure I get food down to my diamond goby as I know they are prone to starving in not so huge tanks. Thankfully mine attacks prepared food. I bought some sinking pellets and drop them down a tube directly to his burrow as of yesterday.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be here Wednesday. The rest of the API kits I can read pretty accurately. This nitrate one is always a pain and is really the only level that fluctuates. Not sure what's causing this little spike... I believe it is me over feeding to ensure I get food down to my diamond goby as I know they are prone to starving in not so huge tanks. Thankfully mine attacks prepared food. I bought some sinking pellets and drop them down a tube directly to his burrow as of yesterday.
I love Diamond goby's and always had one until I went BB.
If you can get one eating frozen mysis shrimp then your home free in regards to them starving. I used to feed the PE mysis.

Also, If your shooting for Randy's parameters and you get down to the low end of nitrates then the Salifert is more accurate than the API.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I got real serious about phos and nitrates I did a post on another site for the most accurate kits.
9 out of 10 times the replies came back as.

Hanna phos. or ulr checker and Salifert nitrate.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I got real serious about phos and nitrates I did a post on another site for the most accurate kits.
9 out of 10 times the replies came back as.

Hanna phos. or ulr checker and Salifert nitrate.
Agreed.

For most or many the simple kits are fine thoug. Really I probably won't win any awards.
And maybe because I live in the twilight zone when good thing happen in the tank the numbers are wrong. When bad things a happens my numbers are "perfect".

My tricolor Valera finally colored back up in the last month after having it for two years.
Po4 .20. Dunno. Glad it came down from .25 it had been for the last month because of the bryopsis I just killed with fluconazole.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya and don't know either. :confused:

Gotta red hot chilli pepper 20" down and it just took off a few months ago with color and growth but I don't know if it had to do with changing dosing products with trace elements and feeding or lighting changes but (lol) I'm riding out what I've been doing.

I got in the first bad Red Sea Pro cal refill for the first time ever. It reads 90ppm low and I'm so stupid that I'll pull it out every once in awhile just to check if it reads correctly but, I can say it's been reading consistently wrong. :D

PS: The squinting thing for the API is brilliant science. :)

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2997.JPG

Looking closest to 25, correct? I like this test more.

This brings me to the question, why in the world are my nitrates hanging out around 20 PPM?? I've always had around 5 or so. I've done two 3 or so gallon water changes since Sunday. It's only a 29 gallon tank. Changed all filter media and carbon. Nothing missing. Unless maybe a snail died that I can't see?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2997.JPG

Looking closest to 25, correct? I like this test more.

This brings me to the question, why in the world are my nitrates hanging out around 20 PPM?? I've always had around 5 or so. I've done two 3 or so gallon water changes since Sunday. It's only a 29 gallon tank. Changed all filter media and carbon. Nothing missing. Unless maybe a snail died that I can't see?
yup. 25 imo.

young tank. don't sweat it hard.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. 25 imo.

young tank. don't sweat it hard.

It's been up for about 7 months, new is considered under a year pretty much, right?

Just weird that it's typically stayed around 5 PPM, maybe the occasional 10. Is 20PPM or so at a dangerous level for inverts? Shouldn't water changes bring it down at least temporarily? Seems like about s 25% water change didn't have much effect.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it after each water change and got the same readings
really odd. It should show somewhat lower after the wc. None?

Then id look for dead stuff or clean out the back of the cube.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really odd. It should show somewhat lower after the wc. None?

Then id look for dead stuff or clean out the back of the cube.

Maybe very slightly lower (see first post on thread)

Don't see anything dead, and sucked up all junk in back chambers.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe very slightly lower (see first post on thread)

Don't see anything dead, and sucked up all junk in back chambers.
Did you check your nitrates with the Salifert kit before you made the water change?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back