Nitrates aren't changing no matter what I do

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! so, basically what the title says, my nitrates will not go down. It reads at 30 every time i test. Is this normal? could my test kit be wrong? I normally would trust my tests, but everything in the tank seems happy and healthy, even a previously unhappy coral is bouncing back. This is the only issue in my chemistry, but 30 is far higher than I want.

anyway, thanks in advance and if any other info is needed let me know : D

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 is higher than I would like too, but many people run that high, so I wouldn't panic.

What do you mean by 'no matter what'? What have you tried?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you test, it reads 30 and you do not change anything of course it will remain 30, so what changes are you making in between tests? Water changes?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really the only thing to get them down are WC or a scrubber/roller to localize alge growth to use up the extra nutrients.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only thing to get them down are WC or a scrubber/roller to localize alge growth to use up the extra nutrients.
There are lots of other ways to reduce nitrate, if that is a goal. They include organic carbon dosing, carbon denitrators, sulfur denitrators, macroalgae in a refugium, deep sand beds, denitrifying porous media, and organic export methods such as skimming, purigen, GAC, etc.

OP
OP
Ennvi

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 is higher than I would like too, but many people run that high, so I wouldn't panic.

What do you mean by 'no matter what'? What have you tried?
increased water changes and reducing feeding mostly, those are the things i see recommended. it's odd though, my nitrates read the same even right after a water change

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
increased water changes and reducing feeding mostly, those are the things i see recommended. it's odd though, my nitrates read the same even right after a water change
What percent of a water change?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they will do, unless you do 50% or more, as less won’t really show on a test, if you are at 30 and do 25% water change your test kit is unlikely to show a drop of only 7, 30 to 23 is not that much of a difference to show on most tests and add in the margin of error of test kids, you’ll see why only a big water change will show on a test kit after doing the water change.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you do 50% water change with tested 0ppm water source

the outcome is still only going to lower the total nitrate ppm by 50%

that being said . What water source are you using for top off and water changes ?

rodi , purchased water from lfs , tap water ?
Have you tested your new salt water before adding it ?

Scuba Mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a second test kit? Salifort is what I am using now, cheap and easy to read. Read instructions as you can look down into test tube for regular reading or you can look through the tube with the card on the other side and take that reading and divide by 10. I find that really helps me, I have been testing in the 10 to 20 range.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a second test kit? Salifort is what I am using now, cheap and easy to read. Read instructions as you can look down into test tube for regular reading or you can look through the tube with the card on the other side and take that reading and divide by 10. I find that really helps me, I have been testing in the 10 to 20 range.

you can only look through the side if the reading is less than 10 I think it is, if above 10 you have to look from the top to get the correct reading.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test with another test kit to be sure nitrates are actually always right at 30, as it really should be fluctuating some and showing a change in the level of nitrates when you test for them. If so I would start carbon dosing, I dose nopox to keep nitrates down in my heavy biolaod and it works greats at keeping nitrates below 10.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust an API Nitrate test kit to show you anything other than you have Low <20, Moderate 20-40, or High >40 nitrates. No matter what brand kit you currently have, and as already stated above, test with another brand kit before you jump off the nitrate cliff onto the sword of endless solutions.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back