OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have this weird crap growing on the back wall and a tiny bit in the rock. It’s the reason I was running gfo to begin with. Got it to go away before with heavy use of gfo, stopped using it, and it came back

OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72B300BD-C284-4D8F-81C0-BE9F6122CD0E.jpeg

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank I can’t get po4 or no3 up at all so I have now just been dosing amino acids daily and it has help out my tank a lot

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it's an established tank phosphate at .06 is fine - keeping it stable it most important. Montipora and birdsnests go bonkers with phosphate .05 - .1

.03 gives you wiggle room for more feeding.

If you have zero or hyper low nitrate remember to raise it *slow*. Acropora in particular don't take kindly to rapid nutrient increase.
Go bonkers in a good way or bad way?

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manually remove all the green stuff and this would be similar to harvesting algae from a refugium.

Get a clean up crew like tangs to pick at the green stuff and start thinking about exporting your nutrients.

Refugium will address both nitrates and phos. Don't skimp on lighting.

I use a 75W led for planted tanks and can knock everything to 0 if I'm not careful.

OP
OP
Fishboy9227

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manually remove all the green stuff and this would be similar to harvesting algae from a refugium.

Get a clean up crew like tangs to pick at the green stuff and start thinking about exporting your nutrients.

Refugium will address both nitrates and phos. Don't skimp on lighting.

I use a 75W led for planted tanks and can knock everything to 0 if I'm not careful.
I’ve got a good fug that runs pretty efficiently. I just set it up a few weeks ago and tripled the chaeto ball size.

well, good/bad news. I thought nitrate/phosphates were my issue. Probably not. Just found out my refractometer is way off, despite calibrating it a week ago with 1.0264 solution. Salinity is at 1.029. Also, the trident is way off calibration. Alk with salifert is 9.3 when trident says 8.6. I had this double tested at my LFS as well. Doofus mistakes.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a good fug that runs pretty efficiently. I just set it up a few weeks ago and tripled the chaeto ball size.

well, good/bad news. I thought nitrate/phosphates were my issue. Probably not. Just found out my refractometer is way off, despite calibrating it a week ago with 1.0264 solution. Salinity is at 1.029. Also, the trident is way off calibration. Alk with salifert is 9.3 when trident says 8.6. I had this double tested at my LFS as well. Doofus mistakes.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I had a feeling those acros were getting some alk burn by the looks of them

Take into account that all minerals will test/ be higher if salinity is elevated too, for example if calcium is testing at 460 @1.029××
It may actually be 420-430 at 1.026xx etc etc, alk and mag will be affected likewise, Im not certain there is a calculator as different salts have different mineral content.

Trident can be a useful tool to see trends, but it should be monitored via at least 1 reliable titration test per week to compare results.

Really sorry to hear your troubles, hope everything bounces back quickly

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back