Nitrates high... sulphur denitrator

steve_london_uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

So I have struggled with high nitrates for a while and tried several things, water changes don't seem to do anything, NOPOX doesn't touch it and Bio pearls... nothing.

I have been lead down the path now of trying a sulphur denitrator.

I have been given a Deltec recirculating reactor (I think it was original a kalk one but should be able to do what I need) and I have bought some sulphur pears today.

My question is, what do I need to put above above it to bring the acidity back down that the sulfur causes? I believe hydrocarbonate but what is that also called and where can I get it? Is there anything else that can use? I was pointed in the direction of a product (aragonite) I believe but it was like £40 for a relative small tub?

Any advice welcome please.
Thanks.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and it takes a good 6+ weeks for it to be dialed in.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you tried?
I was in similar situation and getting algae reactor dialed in has been best solution.

OP
OP
S

steve_london_uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you tried?
I was in similar situation and getting algae reactor dialed in has been best solution.
Hi mate. I’ve tried cheato/other algae in refugium. Nopox. Water changes. Biopellets and nothing seemed to work. This may not either but it’s finding something that does I suppose.
The cheato seemed to work ok but now it’s kind of merged with some other leafy type of algae. Not sure what it is.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate. I’ve tried cheato/other algae in refugium. Nopox. Water changes. Biopellets and nothing seemed to work. This may not either but it’s finding something that does I suppose.
The cheato seemed to work ok but now it’s kind of merged with some other leafy type of algae. Not sure what it is.

I had trouble with Chaeto until I started using chaetogro (brightwell). It’s still some work to keep the Chaeto going properly, but the chaetogro is worth trying!

Also just washing the Chaeto of other algae’s that will grow amongst it.
Best of luck

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP sounds like he’s U.K. based .... maybe easier to find the sulfur media.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no experience with sulfur denitrator. There is a great, long running thread on here called "Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer." It's a trickle flow, anaerobic setup.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue might be befor the export. U get nitrates from fish poop feeding decaying matter. I suggest to review feeding habits and perhaps using a turkey baster to blow off rock work. What are the nitrates you have? What is phosphates? If phosphates are off the nitrate is not balanced and will be harder to export/ for corals to metabolize.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back