Nitrates Level and NOPOX

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends,

I'd like to get some feedback from those who use red sea's NOPOX.

My tank is a 15G nano. My nitrate level is quite high (above 100) and I've been dosing 1ml of NOPOX for like 4 days now and no improvements at all.

How long does it take for this product (NOPOX) to reduce my nitrate levels?

Thanks

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be about 2 weeks before people ever start seeing a slow drop. If your levels are that high I would recommend small water changes.

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should definetly start the water changes if you have all these...
- 02 Amphiprion ocellaris
- 01 Bicolor dottyback
- 01 Yellow Gobi
- 01 Six line wrasse
- 01 Blue Damselfish

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates are really above 100 and you want to get them down quicker without shocking the critters in the tank I would do a water change as outlined below. In your case I'd probably mix up 5 gallons, and siphon out 2 or less at a time.

NoPox works, it just takes time, measured in weeks not days. The higher the nitrates the longer it takes to reduce.

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/getting-nitrates-under-control
If your tank is suffering from high nitrate levels, the success of your reef will depend on your being able to get this under control. Changing 100% of the water would be the ideal, but it may shock your corals, fish and invertebrates in the process. A more gradual way is recommended.

Example from my 55-gallon Reef : Make up 20 gallons of fresh saltwater in a trashcan in front of your tank. Drain 10 gallons of tank water into the 20 gallons of new water, and let that mix. Pump 10 gallons of that water back into your tank, and let the power heads mix that water up in your tank for a minute or so. Then repeat this three more times. Dispose of the now polluted 20 gallons of water. Make up another 20 gallons of fresh saltwater, and repeat this procedure. As long as your temperature and salinity match the tank, your inhabitants won’t be affected adversely, and with each rotation of water, the nitrates are being diluted and removed from your tank.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding real heavy? I can’t see your NO4 being that high if not with what your doing. Possibly testing error? What test kit are you using and are you doing it the exact same way and time each time?

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding real heavy? I can’t see your NO4 being that high if not with what your doing. Possibly testing error? What test kit are you using and are you doing it the exact same way and time each time?

I used to feed a lot. But I already cut down in half. No testing errors. The test is very straight forward ;) I'm using API test kit and Salifert.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m definitely stumped then. Only thing I can say is keep doing what your doing with your 50% water changes and allow time for the NOPOX to kick in. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m definitely stumped then. Only thing I can say is keep doing what your doing with your 50% water changes and allow time for the NOPOX to kick in. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

please don't apologize. I'm really grateful that you guys are taking time to reply here and helping me. I really really appreciate that.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NoPoX and my levels came down in about 2 weeks, however, I only started at <20 ppm for nitrate. As was mentioned in your other thread, you need to be running your skimmer, and you should be skimming wet.

You state that you are sure that there is no testing error, but you have done multiple 50% water changes. If you only did 2 50% water changes and your nitrates are still above 100 ppm, that means that your nitrates were above 400 ppm before you did any water changes.

Have you had your LFS test your water?

Have you considered pulling your fish out of the tank and doing a 100% water change, acclimating them, and then reintroducing them?

Something's not right if your levels are really that high and not coming down with water changes.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NoPoX and my levels came down in about 2 weeks, however, I only started at <20 ppm for nitrate. As was mentioned in your other thread, you need to be running your skimmer, and you should be skimming wet.

You state that you are sure that there is no testing error, but you have done multiple 50% water changes. If you only did 2 50% water changes and your nitrates are still above 100 ppm, that means that your nitrates were above 400 ppm before you did any water changes.

Have you had your LFS test your water?

Have you considered pulling your fish out of the tank and doing a 100% water change, acclimating them, and then reintroducing them?

Something's not right if your levels are really that high and not coming down with water changes.

Hi
Can let me know what you mean by "you should be skimming wet." I have my skimmer at half open position. Meaning flow in is half...

Hm lfs don't normally come here and test water. I'm quite sure nothing wrong with the test kit as I did test my lfs salt water (red Sea mix with RODI water) and it didn't show any high level of nitrate. It was light purple. That means test kit and method is correct.

Im not sure how exactly to do a 100% water change in one go. That's why I'm doing half..

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimming wet just means that you are pulling a little more water with the skimmate. It will look a lot lighter in color. You do this by raising the level of the bubbles in the cup.

Your test kit should show 0 ppm of nitrate in new salt water. Either there is an error in testing, or you LFS isn't selling great water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back