Nitrates off the scale

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incorrect, the system doesnt need any phosphates to vodka dose, thats a myth. Caron Dosing barely brings down the phosphate numbers.

BioPellets absolutely bring PO4 down to near ZERO in most cases... (in the presence of sufficient NO3)

Last edited:

chrisfraser05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with needing a little phos for the pellets to work.

I think the bacteria are a little more flexible, meaning the Redfield ratio doesn't apply directly but I have heard of the pellets stalling out and nitrate spiking in zero phos conditions.

My biggest question at this point is how are you testing for nitrate? What kit? How old? Do you test your water change water?
Can you get a sample tested by someone else to confirm your reading?

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka, vinegar, biopellets are the same thing!

Not really...

And if they are I guess I should rewrite the lecture/presentation that I've been giving all over the country for the last 2 years and maybe the US Patent application too. :squigglemouth:

The definition of dosing is to add something to the water stream. Pellets add nothing to the water stream. Soluble Carbon dosing causes a temporary and unnatural condition whereas excess nutrients cause a "mini-bloom" of bacteria. These bacteria consume PO4 and NO3 and are either skimmed off, settle out or are consumed by something in the tank as bacterioplankton.

"Bio Pellets" are a substrate and a food source for bacteria in the water stream but limit the bacterial growth to the reactor. The bacteria population on the pellets will be consistent depending on the nutrient content in the water. Essentially it is "self adjusting", there will be more bacterial biomass when there are excess nutrients in the water and less bacterial biomass when the water has fewer nutrients.

Since there is a basically unlimited Carbon supply available, but not in the water stream, PO4 and NO3 are constantly consumed unless there is a deficiency of either PO4 or NO3. Since the Carbon supply is NOT in the water stream, it is not a food source for Cyanobacteria or other organisms in the main display tank or on your substrate.

Regarding "Bio Pellets" and Carbon dosing, no soluble Carbon is released into the water stream. Remember, "Bio Pellets" are inert... you can run them in a reactor at 1000GPH for 100 years in sterile salt water and they will not decompose or break down. They add NOTHING to the water. Only bacteria can break down the "Bio Pellets" and that is a biochemical process where the bacteria convert the polymer to another substance and absorb it through their own cell wall by osmosis. So even bacterial conversion can't add the "Bio Pellet" Carbon source to the water stream.

The closest similarity is the export of the bacterial biomass via the protein skimmer in both methods.

Last edited:

Jonathantennant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 50% water change every week for 3 weeks when I bad phosphate and I worked great. The problem with smaller water changes is you're really not taking enough out to effects change. Try it and see if it helps. Just watch you're calcium levels at the same time they my drop low and will have to correct for it.

mrred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me here, im on my third week of biolastics with no change in nitrate. I was told I need to add bactiv 8 or a similar way to add bacteria to "kick start" the reaction. My phosphate level is near 0. Nitrate levels around 40

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me here, im on my third week of biolastics with no change in nitrate. I was told I need to add bactiv 8 or a similar way to add bacteria to "kick start" the reaction. My phosphate level is near 0. Nitrate levels around 40

They aren't working because of having no phosphate as previously stated.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have intentionally added.phosphates. I used "drinking water" from Walmart. They tend to add a little phosphate because it makes the water taste better. Gallon jugs are like 80 cents

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back