Nitrates up. What's next?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tinnerito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tinnerito

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2024
Messages
662
Reaction score
484
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Kind of an amateur question here, but I now have gotten my nitrates up to 10ppm, and I took note of all dead spots in the tank. I will be buying a couple of corals at an upcoming reef fest. But is there anything else that I should consider beforehand? I feel ready to take on the challenge again but at the same time I feel like something is missing. I'm keeping this thread short and simple, to not waste your time. But if theres any info you need from to help make sure I don't kill another coral, please leave a reply. If not, have a great day! :)
 
Check phosphates as well. Especially if it's a new tank. I couldn't get a reading for a long time, and before I knew it, I developed Dino's in my tank. I've been battling them for a couple weeks now but they are starting to disappear.
 
M
Check phosphates as well. Especially if it's a new tank. I couldn't get a reading for a long time, and before I knew it, I developed Dino's in my tank. I've been battling them for a couple weeks now but they are starting to disappear.
My phosphates are currently at 0.03 ppm. How is that?
 
Get rid of those dead spots. The ugly stage loves dead spots.
Thinking about adding a powerhead, but nothing has resulted from them yet so I may wait a while longer before adding more hardware.
 
M

My phosphates are currently at 0.03 ppm. How is that?
Be cautious at that level as if you include margin of error, it could be zero as well, of course zero being not a good level to feed all the micro stuff we need.

0.1ppm might be a better target as it ensures availability.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new