Nitrates WONT GO DOWN

Prince4li

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I would like to get some feedback on how to lower my nitrates, I have literally done all of the following, but by Hannah Checker HR keeps reading 75ppm nitrates:

I have a 180 gallon tank with only a few small coral frags,

I have done a 60% water change, I have tried NOPOX, i have macro cheato algea in my sump, for about three weeks, with a Kessil tuna flora light. Seems like cheato hasnt grown noticeably larger in this time.

Param is as follows - I test with a combination of Hanna Checkers and Red Sea Foundation PRO
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
8.7 DKH
475 CA
1500 MG
1.5 on the Phosphate

I have 8 fish in the tank, Sailfin, Regal, Purple Tang, Powder brown, Blue Faced Angel, White tail Kole Tang, Diamond Goby, and a yellow tail damsel.
Ive had these fish for close to 2 years now. Tank has been running for 3 years

Here are some photos of my tank and livestock, any feedback would be appreciated.

IMG_0335.jpg IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0334.jpg IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0155.jpg IMG_0149.jpg

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These work if you want to give them a try

I brought my No3 down from 60 with the titanium ones but my po4 was lower than yours so you may not need to use that one & rather just use the Originals if you really are at 1.5 P04.
The titanium ones only remove No3 but it don't matter if the po4 level is low.

They run in a bag with an airstone in them & all you have to do is top them up.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sulfur denitrator is a decent plan. I battled nitrates for years until I setup one up. My experience was 19 days from online to effluent being 0ppm. After that its just a game of how much to turn it up and how often. I've never looked back and love it.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had success with auto water changes and purigen. Best of luck, you have a beautiful system:)

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped in a bottle of bacteria about 2 weeks ago and accidently bottomed out my nitrates within a few days. So, you can try that, but add it in slowly. Don't do the mistake I did.

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a dumb question but what about your water source? I remember reading an article on Battlecorals about how sometimes we overlook poorly functioning RODI equipment as a source of issues.

OP
OP
Prince4li

Prince4li

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a dumb question but what about your water source? I remember reading an article on Battlecorals about how sometimes we overlook poorly functioning RODI equipment as a source of issues.

I use a 7 stage RODI unit from BRS. Just 1 month ago, i replaced all the filters,

Running 2 sediment filters, 2 carbon blocks, 2 Di Resin canisters and 2 membranes, the TDS shows 0

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you run the NOPOX? It took me about 3 weeks before it started to go down then it sped up. Just trying to give my experience. And by the way my biopellet reactor did Nothing for a year so proof every system is different

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the refugium light on? Do you dose anything like iron, chaetogro, etc.?

I would keep the light on 24/7 and consider dosing something like dr tims waste away (you can get a big bottle for relatively cheap).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These work if you want to give them a try

I brought my No3 down from 60 with the titanium ones but my po4 was lower than yours so you may not need to use that one & rather just use the Originals if you really are at 1.5 P04.
The titanium ones only remove No3 but it don't matter if the po4 level is low.

They run in a bag with an airstone in them & all you have to do is top them up.

Those look really cool

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back