OP
reefthereefer

reefthereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the tank I would have just kept plugging away and not even worried about 16 nitrate. Too often trying to fix something that isn't broken ends up breaking things if that makes sense.
It makes sense nitrates are starting to get out of control now if it's a true 50ppm

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not running a skimmer have no reason and can't run a skimmer on the kinda tank I have nor am I running a sump due to type of tank I have. And no it's not the canister building nitrate up I clean it bi weekly
You need a skimmer to remove bacteria with dosing carbon, including bio pellets.

“I am thinking going along the lines of a reactor with biopellets. Is this a wise approach? Has anyone else done this?”

For denitrfication you need a low flow aneoxic zone. If the external filter runs slow enough adding micro blocks ( bunch of different types- sintered glass is best) you may drop NO3 so low that you will have to dose it.

kyle38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your problem with the rising levels is because you can’t carbon dose without a good skimmer id think that could be disastrous if you continued to do that, why can’t you use a skimmer? Id start with a bigger water change and see where that gets you

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back