Nitrates

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no doubt that 80 ppm of nitrate is high for some systems... BUT... If everything is happy and you don't have algae problems, don't change too much just to lower them.

Several big (50%) water changes in a row can reduce nitrates that have slowly climbed to a high level. The first will reduce ~80 ppm to ~40, the second to ~20 ppm, and etc.. If that doesn't work, you either have nitrogen compounds in the new water or a bad test kit. Remember, nitrite can cause elevated readings on nitrate test kits. Once lowered, & without some addition reduction mechanism, nitrates will just climb back up over time.

Once you get the level down, more porous rock, something like Matrix Blocks, or maybe a sulfur denitrator might help maintain the levels if you don't have measurable phosphate levels using a quality test kit. Carbon dosing, algae turf scrubbers, & Cheato can do the job if you have measurable phosphates. I didn't see any mention of skimming. That can slow the build-up of nitrate also.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think before we jump the gun we should start with basic.

Unless I missed it..

, how much/what do you have in tank.how often and what do you feed, when you do water changes do you vacuum sand or gravel, how much rock you have, what type of light of refuge to grow macro algea.

Let’s see if there is a simple fix before jumping into dosing.

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think before we jump the gun we should start with basic.

Unless I missed it..

, how much/what do you have in tank.how often and what do you feed, when you do water changes do you vacuum sand or gravel, how much rock you have, what type of light of refuge to grow macro algea.

Let’s see if there is a simple fix before jumping into dosing.
Are you asking me?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back