Nitrite bacteria test?

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Some time ago there were some test on bacteria in a bottle for ammonia, are there some similar test for nitrite? Tried searching but didn't find any.

I'm going to cycle a few systems over the next couple months. In the past I have used bio-spira, Dr Tim's, and fritz. All of them worked immediately for ammonia but nitrite took a month or so to drop. Thus the initial question. I'm going to cycle most the systems with fish, but at least one system with ammonium chloride.

Do these bottles of bacteria have any bacteria for nitrite? Any recommendation on which bottle to use and why? And if a combination of brands is better?

Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
big changes have happened you need to know

don't buy the kit. testing for it is retired in display tank cycling, updated cycling science 2022. for all years before, it mattered, but doesnt now. see anything written by Randy Holmes-Farley on the matter as to why the change happened.

the only time you need to test for it is in low salinity specialized quarantine setups. buy a hanna digital nitrite meter then.

in any reef display, don't test for it, you'll only give yourself headaches and it's a fully neutral impact parameter at display salinities.

nitrite is the single most unneeded to know parameter in all of reefdom, #1 position above all other measurable params.

don't venture to own the kit, don't spend one penny on it, the data will not help you. if nitrite is positive in your display, nothing changes for the life in your tank. if it's negative, nothing changes for the life in your tank, it's a neutral parameter.

nitrite presence interferes with some nitrate test kits (causes misreads) but it's impact to your tank life is zero inside a common salinity reef display tank.

to cycle your reef with the bottle bac mentioned: add the bacteria to the setup, add in two ground up pinches of flake food and wait ten days, you're cycled no testing required. it works always. I didnt mention adding ammonia, testing, verifying, I had said add bottle bac two pinches of feed and wait ten days, cycled. that will work and save you a litany of testing and method headaches.

Gildo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 i read this topic too late .... so i bought a test no2 and i already got a headache seeing 2.00 results of no2 ..... i used fritz turbo start 900 and fishless fuel, they passed 8 days, so regardless of the measured no2 value, can I already insert some fish or shrimp?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back