nitrite not going down

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so been cycling the tank for 1 month nitrite not going down i have done 2x 75% water changes still showing 2ppm on salifert test kit its annoying cause if i have nitrite i can't read what my nitrates are at

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing people are going to want to know is: Define "been cycling" ? Dry rock? Live rock? Bottled bac?

Livestock?

Next is probably "What is your ammonia reading".

Next in line is probably "Why do you care about Nitrite...as it's pretty much a non issue for marine tanks". YES - Nitrite can/will interfere with trying to get an accurate Nitrate test.

Without any further info...I'd say "Be patient". No need to add more bottled bac if that's how you started. Assuming you are processing ammonia then it sounds like you can add your first fish. Nitrite will eventually come down...and...IIRC...is not harmful to marine fish in quantities we'd see in our tanks.

Just guessing (I'm at work and can't access my logs). My nitrite took longer than "expected" as well. The key is your ammonia...

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock (arrived dry so idk) dosed turbo start 900 + friz9

well i do care about nitrite as stated i can't get a nitrate reading for corals

ammonia is 0

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they any nitrate tests that bypass the false positive of nitrites

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock (arrived dry so idk) dosed turbo start 900 + friz9

well i do care about nitrite as stated i can't get a nitrate reading for corals

ammonia is 0

Patience. I know the "pros" put tanks together for shows and plop corals into "new" tanks in a matter of hours...but that's probably not your or my experience level. At this point....you just gotta wait for it to come down. It will...eventually. Just get into your water change schedule (I do weekly 10%). Not sure of you export equipment (filter roller? protein skimmer?) but you should be trying to dial those in.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. I know the "pros" put tanks together for shows and plop corals into "new" tanks in a matter of hours...but that's probably not your or my experience level. At this point....you just gotta wait for it to come down. It will...eventually. Just get into your water change schedule (I do weekly 10%). Not sure of you export equipment (filter roller? protein skimmer?) but you should be trying to dial those in.
its only a 13.5g tank so water changes will sort that + i'm not having fish this tank is just for coral

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they any nitrate tests that bypass the false positive of nitrites
I don't think so. I'm no chemist...but...IIRC they say that the nitrite interferes with the nitrate reading. Still might be worth testing it though...just as food for thought...if it's below 10 ppm then you are in good shape (opinion/experience vary on how much nitrate is "right").

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. I'm no chemist...but...IIRC they say that the nitrite interferes with the nitrate reading. Still might be worth testing it though...just as food for thought...if it's below 10 ppm then you are in good shape (opinion/experience vary on how much nitrate is "right").
my hanna HR is flashing 75 and my api goes red can't get a reading =/

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I think I don't have enough experience to help ya much at this point. I don't think dosing nitrates is a good idea until you can confirm what you have. Sounds like the Nitrates are off the chart high so waterchanges might be the only way that's coming out.

I'll defer to the more experienced coral only reefers.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Fritz turbo has a FAQ about what to do when ur cycle stuck at high nitrite, it needs a phosphate source (fish food).

2 Whats ur ph? Nitrite processing bacteria needs higher ph than ammonia processing, if you have low ph like 7.5 or below, ammonia processing bacteria might develop while nitrite processing might stall/grow very slow.

3 is your water dechlorinated properly?

4 if all of the above is fine and still no change maybe I would add a non fritz bacteria, like atm colony

5 I would not measure/touch nitrates until nitrites are 0

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I think I don't have enough experience to help ya much at this point. I don't think dosing nitrates is a good idea until you can confirm what you have. Sounds like the Nitrates are off the chart high so waterchanges might be the only way that's coming out.

I'll defer to the more experienced coral only reefers.
i will try another water change but i have done 2x 75% water changes and no change

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Fritz turbo has a FAQ about what to do when ur cycle stuck at high nitrite, it needs a phosphate source (fish food).

2 Whats ur ph? Nitrite processing bacteria needs higher ph than ammonia processing, if you have low ph like 7.5 or below, ammonia processing bacteria might develop while nitrite processing might stall/grow very slow.

3 is your water dechlorinated properly?

4 if all of the above is fine and still no change maybe I would add a non fritz bacteria, like atm colony

5 I would not measure/touch nitrates until nitrites are 0
rodi water not sure on ph don't know where my PH monitor is i will try and find it

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so PH is 8 im going to do another 2x 75% water changes get rid of most of the nitrite hopefully

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back