Nitrites still high

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycled fishless for 16 days. No more ammonia but nitrites > 1 by Red Sea test and nitrates ~ 30.

After discussion with the LFS who helped me get everything going, stocked with 3 Bangai Cardinals and half a dozen BL hermits and nassarius snails. All livestock doing great but unable to See nitrites go down.

thiughts?

BartMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose a different brand of bacteria to the tank and retest in 48 hours

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycled fishless for 16 days. No more ammonia but nitrites > 1 by Red Sea test and nitrates ~ 30.

After discussion with the LFS who helped me get everything going, stocked with 3 Bangai Cardinals and half a dozen BL hermits and nassarius snails. All livestock doing great but unable to See nitrites go down.

thiughts?
If you really have nitrites present, they will interfere with most nitrate kits and give a false reading.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I had no idea about the nitrites interfering with testing. Using the Red Sea beginning kit
If I am not mistaken, the RS nitrate kit is one the nitrites will interfere with.

My suggestion is to wait it out and see if nitrites drop, or to get some bottled bac to help boost the bacteria population.

Neither of the numbers you posted for nitrite or nitrate are harmful to fish, so no need to rush at this point.

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken, the RS nitrate kit is one the nitrites will interfere with.

My suggestion is to wait it out and see if nitrites drop, or to get some bottled bac to help boost the bacteria population.

Neither of the numbers you posted for nitrite or nitrate are harmful to fish, so no need to rush at this point.
Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back