Nitro-Mare

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back to m pod try to get some live rock in asap that lil skimmer will work for now but that is the key imo
Some sort of saltwater bacteria starter and ammonia neutralizer also like @ScottR mentioned above also, Dr Tims, Microbacter7 or BioSpira. Anything to get a proper cycle going as fast as possible to protect the fish.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, Okay so I’ll get some live rock will an Amazon search of live rock suffice and order some?

And i really need to change water twice weekly , along with the filters?

Yeah the tip of the fake coral and rock has brown “bacteria” growing on it I thought that was a good thing

And my test strips are no good? It says for salt and fresh water?

image.jpg

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the bottles I’m working with

image.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the ph buffer. You never want to directly play with the ph on saltwater.

As to twice weekly water changes, you won't have to do that long term, but your tank is likely headed for an ammonia spike with so little rock and none cycled. Water changes and that bottle of quick start are an emergency lifeline to protect the fish as you try and get things re-started in the right direction.

Test strips function. But that's not the question. You'll want more precise and specific numbers for each parameter.

Right now you should be testing ammonia daily.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the ph buffer. You never want to directly play with the ph on saltwater.

As to twice weekly water changes, you won't have to do that long term, but your tank is likely headed for an ammonia spike with so little rock and none cycled. Water changes and that bottle of quick start are an emergency lifeline to protect the fish as you try and get things re-started in the right direction.

Test strips function. But that's not the question. You'll want more precise and specific numbers for each parameter.

Right now you should be testing ammonia daily.
Okay I’ll change twice weekly and yes right now strips are lighting up moderately intense pink...
I’ll get some rock is eco friendly rock okay?
Or any suggestions where to get some?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly you can only get eco friendly rock these days. All the places that used to ship ocean sourced live rock have banned the export.

Dry Marco rock or reef saver dry rock are popular choices.

A better choice would be of you have a friend who has a piece or two of ready to go rock that's already been in a tank for a few months.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pet stores / LFS near you?
Even a basic API test kit would be better than the strips. LFS would probably have some rock cycled and ready to go.

long term, you will want to invest in some better tests, (I use Salifert)

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pet stores / LFS near you?
Even a basic API test kit would be better than the strips. LFS would probably have some rock cycled and ready to go.

long term, you will want to invest in some better tests, (I use Salifert)
I’m in Manhattan so I’m sure I could locate some I’ll invest in a better test kit
Last question just so I know, how much should I be charged for like 10lb of live rock At a store?

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly you can only get eco friendly rock these days. All the places that used to ship ocean sourced live rock have banned the export.

Dry Marco rock or reef saver dry rock are popular choices.

A better choice would be of you have a friend who has a piece or two of ready to go rock that's already been in a tank for a few months.
Yeah unfortunately no friends with this haha just me and my tank

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably pay 8-9$ per lb, maybe more for wet, cycled ready to use rock. it depends on the store.

Now that I'm home and can have a proper look at the bottles you have:
1. Seachem Reef Complete - for calcium. Keep it, but you have no need to worry about calcium right now.
2. API marine quick start - Yes. Ammonia detoxyfier, which is what you definitely need especially in the absence of an ammonia test kit. Also claims to be a bacteria additive, though I've never heard of anyone using it. Not sure if it messes with ammonia tests. The API ammonia test it most likely to be compatible, but it is known to give false positives at low levels. API has a terrible reputation for test accuracy, but is better than strips.
3. Fritz complete - does the same thing as the API stuff. May give a false positive or negative ammonia reading depending on the type of test.
4. Fluval cycle is a bacteria additive, which is what you need. I've never used it.
5. pH increase - toss it, like I mentioned above, you never want to use magical pH manupilation products, they mess with the stability of the water chemistry.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Manhattan so I’m sure I could locate some I’ll invest in a better test kit
Last question just so I know, how much should I be charged for like 10lb of live rock At a store?
Depends on the store, just like @W1ngz said. anywhere from 7-15$ a lb for cycled rock.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably pay 8-9$ per lb, maybe more for wet, cycled ready to use rock. it depends on the store.

Now that I'm home and can have a proper look at the bottles you have:
1. Seachem Reef Complete - for calcium. Keep it, but you have no need to worry about calcium right now.
2. API marine quick start - Yes. Ammonia detoxyfier, which is what you definitely need especially in the absence of an ammonia test kit. Also claims to be a bacteria additive, though I've never heard of anyone using it. Not sure if it messes with ammonia tests. The API ammonia test it most likely to be compatible, but it is known to give false positives at low levels. API has a terrible reputation for test accuracy, but is better than strips.
3. Fritz complete - does the same thing as the API stuff. May give a false positive or negative ammonia reading depending on the type of test.
4. Fluval cycle is a bacteria additive, which is what you need. I've never used it.
5. pH increase - toss it, like I mentioned above, you never want to use magical pH manupilation products, they mess with the stability of the water chemistry.
Thanks guys found one for $1.99 they said it’s fully cycled and they need to rid of some it was fish hut of NJ
I’ll keep you all posted I’m going Saturday to get some !

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys found one for $1.99 they said it’s fully cycled and they need to rid of some it was fish hut of NJ
I’ll keep you all posted I’m going Saturday to get some !
Should I donate two of my fish I was thinking maybe my zebra dart fish? since I’m at 8 fish 3 shrimp and 5 snails

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
imo no work with what you have,

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I donate two of my fish I was thinking maybe my zebra dart fish? since I’m at 8 fish 3 shrimp and 5 snails

Most of your fish look to be juvenile, at least the cardinal and clowns do. Less fish = less ammonia, but I'm not sure it'll make a big impact at this point. Your best bet would be to go light on the feeding until you get a better idea of the ammonia levels and get that live rock. Plan for daily water changes as big as you can manage tomorrow and friday.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’m back got the live rock it’s ben doing great my nitrogen is nothing now :)

However my pH at least on my test strips seem to be on the low side any suggestions? Fish and invertebrates are doing fine however

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pH at least on my test strips seem to be on the low side any suggestions?
2 suggestions:
1. Don't use test strips.
2. Don't stress about pH. Let it do what it does and become an expert at keeping all your other parameters in line first.

That might sound a little like a condescending non-answer but it's more about you than your tank right now. Anything 7.8 or better is just fine. In the long term, choosing what you want to fight with will help you, and your tank, and right now you don't want to be fighting with your pH.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back