NO³ PO⁴ Overdose

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely screwed up my NO³ PO⁴-X dose. It was my first dose in 6-8 months. And I normally dose 18ml, as my tank size is 150.

I accidentally just dosed 50ml's into the tank.

I'm mixing up 30gl of fresh saltwater right now and added a large bubble stone to the sump. I also have my protein skimmer running as always. I can not believe I just botched this dose after not using NoPox for 6-8 months.

How concerned should I be? Other than water changes, and the added oxygen stone, is there anything else I can do to get back to where I was?

-As of right now-
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30ppm
Phosphate .50ppm

NO³PO⁴ has been in for 1 hour. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about what else you can do but if you are trying to get that down to 18ml wouldn't you have to do more than a 20% change? I believe a 20% change would only decrease 50mls to 40mls. I believe you would have to do about a 36% water change to get rid of the extra?

OP
OP
Bkatz1

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely screwed up my NO³ PO⁴ dose. It was my first dose in 6-8 months. And I normally dose 18ml, as my tank size is 150.

I'm mixing up 30gl of fresh saltwater right now and added a large bubble stone to the sump. I also have my protein skimmer running as always. I can not believe I just botched this dose after not using NoPox for 6-8 months.

How concerned should I be? Other than water changes, and the added oxygen stone, is there anything else I can do to get back to where I was?

-As of right now-
1.025 Sal
8.0 PH
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
30ppm Nitrate
.50ppm Phosphate

I'm not sure about what else you can do but if you are trying to get that down to 18ml wouldn't you have to do more than a 20% change? I believe a 20% change would only decrease 50mls to 40mls. I believe you would have to do about a 36% water change to get rid of the extra?

I only had 30gl available right now. I'll have another 30 or 40 of RO to mix up by tomorrow morning. The plan is to just keep changing the water out. But at 50ml of NO³PO⁴ how dangerous is the dose given there was nothing in there prior. This was the first dose in 6-8 months.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just retested and they are still

Phosphate. 50
Nitrate between 25 and 50.

The overdose of NoPox has been in the tank for less than 2 hours still.
It's probably going to be fine then.

So, did you overdose nitrate and phosphate (like your original post says) or NoPOx? NoPOx is carbon and will lower nitrates (possibly phosphates to a small degree), and might cause a bacterial bloom. You've done the right thing adding the airstone.

I assumed you had dosed nitrate and phosphate to your tank...
I completely screwed up my NO³ PO⁴ dose.

OP
OP
Bkatz1

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably going to be fine then.

So, did you overdose nitrate and phosphate (like your original post says) or NoPOx? NoPOx is carbon and will lower nitrates (possibly phosphates to a small degree), and might cause a bacterial bloom. You've done the right thing adding the airstone.

I assumed you had dosed nitrate and phosphate to your tank...

No, I only over dosed the NOPOX.
I do not dose anything into this tank. The high Nitrate and Phosphate is from feeding.

I was using the NOPOX to lower the Nitrate and Phos to potentially add corals. Right now it's a FOWLR with 2 nems.

Attachments

• 20220718_080303.jpg
    20220718_080303.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Bkatz1

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed a 30gl waterchange. UV, Skimmer, and airstone are all running. PH dropped a little but came right back up after WC. Fish all seem ok so far. Will follow up in the morning. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely screwed up my NO³ PO⁴-X dose. It was my first dose in 6-8 months. And I normally dose 18ml, as my tank size is 150.

-As of right now-
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30ppm
Phosphate .50ppm

Don't worry about it, it won't cause any problems.

edit: Oh I see you've done a water change. A water change wasn't necessary, but it won't do any harm :)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need to panic and do anything, you might get a bacterial bloom, so cloudy water/slime but unlikely.

When I used it in a similar tank size I was dosing about 30-40mls every day due to a very high fish load.

Looking at how the tank looks, I would maybe question why your using it anyway at the moment it looks beautiful.

Also just note that Nopox has very little effect on phosphate levels so you might need to address that with something else in the short term. I have used rowaphos for years, but now use ATM agent green when needed. It works and is very simple.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that this size overdose is no concern and nothing needs to be done. It might even be useful and better than the dose you were using.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back