No ammonia after 6 days into cycling.. help

Drake2910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 13 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have live added live sand, 2kg of live rock and some bio media. I have been adding seachem for 6 days should I be getting a ammonia reading by now?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 13 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have live added live sand, 2kg of live rock and some bio media. I have been adding seachem for 6 days should I be getting a ammonia reading by now?
Depends on how live your live rock is, and what source of ammonia you've added, generally. A pic of the tank would be nice.

OP
OP
D

Drake2910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17065229635203859400918185456313.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How are you testing for ammonia?
Typically, a cycle is called a cycle when two actions occur. . . . when ammonia rises then falls and achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
Did you add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially ?
Assure you are not getting false readings from cheap test kits

OP
OP
D

Drake2910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a API test kit and also a Salifert which can be hard to read. I did not add any source of ammonia and I was told by the LFS not to.
Was advised only to use seachem stability for a week and I don't need to add a source of ammonia as the tank is only small

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why so little rock? Should be close to a lbs per gallon. Rock provides the surface area that nitrifying bacteria lives on.... more surface area means more bacteria which is good for the tank. Rock also provides hiding spaces for fish, and provides breeding ground for micro organisms.

Would suggest that your tank needs more rock, and at least one powerhead, 2 would be better. Please google "the berlin method", this explains how rocks and flow are the biofilter of a salt tank.

The tank needs a source of ammonia to start the cycle, otherwise the bacteria has no source of fuel. Even a pinch of fish food will help, but its very slow. Best is to buy a bottle of ammonia and add a few drops.

OP
OP
D

Drake2910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I didn't want to much live rock so I can have more coral but I have 90g of marinepure balls to make up for it.

Power head also on order. Sound arrive this week.

Definitely calling the LFS tomorrow to see if i should ad a source of food as I was instructed on to use seachem stability. Nothing else needed to be added.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not add any source of ammonia and I was told by the LFS not to.
Was advised only to use seachem stability for a week and I don't need to add a source of ammonia as the tank is only small
You aren't seeing ammonia, because you haven't added any ammonia.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so how much food do I put in the tank? Do I do it daily? And when do I stop putting food in?
just a little pinch once a week is fine, until the cycle is complete (ammonia rises and falls to zero). But again, its very slow, need to wait for the food to break down to become ammonia. Get a bottle of ammonia from the LFS or from the pharmacy for $3, the ammonia works right away. It is a few drops per gallon, find a chart on the internet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back