No ammonia source - help

Jamee96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We set up our salt water tank tonight with a combo of dry / wet (live) rock, sand, and salt water. Everything is good to go, but we have no ammonia source. We thought there was frozen shrimp in the freezer, but were mistaken and now stores are closed. We are afraid of messing up the cycle we just started... any advice? We do have frozen tuna and frozen shrimp (that is mixed with sauce).. should we rinse off the sauce and just throw it in?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy some ammonium chloride on Amazon. The shrimp method is unreliable and messy.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you add ammonia source you are going to burn everything that is on your live rock how much live rock did you buy how big is the tank @brandon429 can probs tell you what to do better than me

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply add two pinches of ground up fish food it’s better than straight ac because it gives the bac more nutrients than just nitrogen and because it decays into ammonia anyway. Perfect sub

it changes your cycle approach because that won’t hit 2 ppm but nobody cares it never had to. 2 ppm is a made up arbitrary number from other bac brands. Simply add the feed, the bac, wait to the number of days on the label for the particular strain used, it’s cycled. Tests may or may not agree, but it is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back