No DT Yet but picked this up.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 90gal DT is on order and should be shipping in about 3 weeks. Yesterday I read through a thread where someone put their entire tank at risk because he was opposed to QT. with that fear instilled in me I started thinking about picking up a small tank for quarantine. I came across this on the letgo app and picked it up with the canister filter(which is new) for $125. It's approximately 33gal and cycles about 11x an hour. It came with a skimmer and a 150 metal halide, which I think might heat it up too much. I guess I could always remove the top and create an acrylic top with a small light. Was this smart or a big mistake? It's too big for my house so I'll keep it at my shop about 5min away. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A set up for 125 to turn in a qt sounds good to me. If it is just a qt you will not need the MH.

I like it.

Agreed, I might try to find someone with the same aquarium that didn't come with the MH and sell it to them.

I've got a 5x10 CNC Gantry Router so I can cut an acrylic top to replace this one super easy. A little googling shows that this aquarium wasn't sold in the US. There's almost no info on it at all. It's model HS-60 by some company called Boyu Aquarium. I doubt I'll be able to find another one. Good suggestion though!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 90gal DT is on order and should be shipping in about 3 weeks. Yesterday I read through a thread where someone put their entire tank at risk because he was opposed to QT. with that fear instilled in me I started thinking about picking up a small tank for quarantine. I came across this on the letgo app and picked it up with the canister filter(which is new) for $125. It's approximately 33gal and cycles about 11x an hour. It came with a skimmer and a 150 metal halide, which I think might heat it up too much. I guess I could always remove the top and create an acrylic top with a small light. Was this smart or a big mistake? It's too big for my house so I'll keep it at my shop about 5min away. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg
I use an old biocube 14 for QT that I bought new as my first salt aquarium. It works great and with the lid on doesn’t evaporate very much. When I want it to evaporate more to raise salinity through top off I just raise the feeding lid and place a cut piece of egg crate to fill the hole and keep fish from jumping out.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came up on another piece of equipment today, a 1/4hp chiller for $50. The guy selling it had a 140 gallon tank(he thought it was a 100) he was breaking down and selling for $500 complete. I’ve never owned a chiller. It was still hooked up to his tank and he turned it on. It seemed to read the temp and set properly. I think I scored again but like buying anything used there’s always doubt.

7D528577-38D7-49D0-9907-1AAD702D6396.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score! With that chiller you can run the mh all day!

What do you use the router for? That's a large piece of precision cutting equipment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score! With that chiller you can run the mh all day!

What do you use the router for? That's a large piece of precision cutting equipment.

I’ve got a furniture shop where we build primarily for the govt and mil. We can build almost anything though. Years back I was able to fab a 1” thick acrylic monitor port for a professional underwater video camera housing I have.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my QT up but I'm months away from my DT still. Can I start the QT process with some "starter fish" until my DT is ready? If so how long can I keep them in there for? Right now it's bare bones with a heater and chiller set for 79°, SG 1.026, some sponge filters, a powerhead, a fluval canister filter (not hooked up and not sure if I need it) and that's it.

I'd love to turn this into an office reef but it gets very hot there and I only have 1 chiller. Unfortunately setting up a QT at home is not an option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

QT.jpg

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that’s a steal on the biocube. For a qt I have a question you planning on qting coral or fish? 2 totally different setups. I’ve done a coral qt but not a fish so can only help somewhat lol.

Nice score on the chiller also.

Matt

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that’s a steal on the biocube. For a qt I have a question you planning on qting coral or fish? 2 totally different setups. I’ve done a coral qt but not a fish so can only help somewhat lol.

Nice score on the chiller also.

Matt

Thanks for the response Matt! I didn’t know there were different protocols for fish and corals. My goal is a mixed reef so I do plan on QT’n both. I have read about how to QT fish but not corals. I have a spare 20 gal long tank and a 55 standard both I got for free. I got super lucky on the nano and chiller.

Thanks!

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have read up on qt fish but never have. My lfs qt’s and I’ve never had a issue but maybe I’ve been lucky. But coral on the other hand I’ve had several bad hitchhikers find there way into my softie tank. I know you qt them in the same tank since you use meds for fish that are harmful for coral. And a coral qt tank is a long term project not just something you setup for a few months. Pretty much as long as you plan on adding coral you should have it up and running. Trust me sps won’t live in a tank that’s only been up a few months no matter how old the live rock is. Wasted money lol.

Food for thought and something to research for sure

Matt

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm def getting the let go app. Great deals!

You can keep your fish in the qt tank as long as you like. Just be sure

1) tank big enough
2) they're not sitting in copper indef.

Being that it's not at your house, I'd be careful though. Would let it truly cycle since water changes and testing won't be as easy off site

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm def getting the let go app. Great deals!

You can keep your fish in the qt tank as long as you like. Just be sure

1) tank big enough
2) they're not sitting in copper indef.

Being that it's not at your house, I'd be careful though. Would let it truly cycle since water changes and testing won't be as easy off site

Thanks for the info. How do you cycle a QT? I thought it was supposed to be just fresh salt water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back