No end to dosing nitrates question

Miami Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a question that’s been on my mind for some time.

Let’s say someone has many many live rocks and a deep sand bed (for denitrifying bacteria to turn nitrates into nitrogen gas).

and let’s say this person needs to dose nitrates because their levels are too low...won’t increasing the nitrates cause the denitrifying bacteria to increase their population size? In turn requiring more and more nitrates added to maintain the same level?

Last edited:
AS

mdb_talon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would suggest there is a limit. As it is you need a lot of live rock and/or DSB just to account for regular feedings. Certainly doable but I would not be concerned with it being a neverending cycle of needing to dose more and more nitrates because the capacity of your rocks and DSB to handle nitrates is limited.

Dan_P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Let’s say someone has many many live rocks and a deep sand bed (for denitrifying bacteria to turn nitrates into nitrogen gas).

and let’s say this person needs to dose nitrates because their levels are too low...won’t increasing the nitrates cause the denitrifying bacteria to increase their population size? In turn requiring more and more nitrates added to maintain the same level?
The denitrifying bacteria population can’t keep increasing unchecked because of limited space and possibly running low on some other nutrients.

Fritz

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score

That's possible, but denitritifaction is often organic carbon limited, not nitrate limited.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score

The denitrifying bacteria consume nitrates though?

Top Shelf Aquatics

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Do you need a DSB for mud? I know mud has benefits to phytoplankton and releases nutrients for things like soft coral and macros

WHAT WATER CHANGE "PERCENTAGE" MAKES IT WORTH DOING?

• 5% - 10%

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 139 54.5%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 53 20.8%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 40% - 50%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 50% or more

Votes: 1 0.4%