No end to dosing nitrates question

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that’s been on my mind for some time.

Let’s say someone has many many live rocks and a deep sand bed (for denitrifying bacteria to turn nitrates into nitrogen gas).

and let’s say this person needs to dose nitrates because their levels are too low...won’t increasing the nitrates cause the denitrifying bacteria to increase their population size? In turn requiring more and more nitrates added to maintain the same level?

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest there is a limit. As it is you need a lot of live rock and/or DSB just to account for regular feedings. Certainly doable but I would not be concerned with it being a neverending cycle of needing to dose more and more nitrates because the capacity of your rocks and DSB to handle nitrates is limited.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let’s say someone has many many live rocks and a deep sand bed (for denitrifying bacteria to turn nitrates into nitrogen gas).

and let’s say this person needs to dose nitrates because their levels are too low...won’t increasing the nitrates cause the denitrifying bacteria to increase their population size? In turn requiring more and more nitrates added to maintain the same level?
The denitrifying bacteria population can’t keep increasing unchecked because of limited space and possibly running low on some other nutrients.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's possible, but denitritifaction is often organic carbon limited, not nitrate limited.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if Thats true someone who is dosing nitrate should not dose a carbon source also?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it is fine to dose both if you are doing it for a reason other than nitrate reduction, such as dosing the organic to drive bacteria that feed filter feeders.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The denitrifying bacteria consume nitrates though?

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was what I was considering. I’m getting mud slurry from indo farms and thought id dose to drive bacteria production.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back