No Filtration...0 Nitrates

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running a 32 gallon biocube for about a year which has been fairly successful. I had a long and difficult battle with dinos for a few months which I eventually won. I knew that the reason I had the dinos was bottoming out of my nitrates and phosphates which had both reached 0.00. So fast forward to now the tank is looking better and clearer than ever and I couldn't be happier. Just to go over my livestock I have a clown, royal gramma, midas blenny and about a dozen snails, no corals yet. In order to avoid another dino outbreak I have stripped back my filtration to pretty much nothing, no skimmer, no bio or chemical media, just filter floss and a 15% water change every two weeks and the tank looks great. The only thing is even with the complete lack of filtration I have still been getting 0.00 nitrate readings for the last month or so. My phosphates have been consistently good at 0.02-0.05 but the lack of nitrates has me a bit worried about another possible dino outbreak and I just dont know what else I can do since I have already stripped all the filtration. All input is appreciated, thank you guys.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dose a little bit of nitrate, but what are you using to test nitrate?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea u have to dose very little nitrate or bad things happen

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looks good and stuff is thriving.....do nothing.

I ran an amazing tank that had no detectible nitrate and .02 phoshate.
As soon as i dosed nitrates to "try something different"
The tank came spiraling down over the course of 2 years.
Definitely dont want that to happen, I will just keep a close eye on it and if I see something that doesn't look right, I will take action, thank you.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running a 32 gallon biocube for about a year which has been fairly successful. I had a long and difficult battle with dinos for a few months which I eventually won. I knew that the reason I had the dinos was bottoming out of my nitrates and phosphates which had both reached 0.00. So fast forward to now the tank is looking better and clearer than ever and I couldn't be happier. Just to go over my livestock I have a clown, royal gramma, midas blenny and about a dozen snails, no corals yet. In order to avoid another dino outbreak I have stripped back my filtration to pretty much nothing, no skimmer, no bio or chemical media, just filter floss and a 15% water change every two weeks and the tank looks great. The only thing is even with the complete lack of filtration I have still been getting 0.00 nitrate readings for the last month or so. My phosphates have been consistently good at 0.02-0.05 but the lack of nitrates has me a bit worried about another possible dino outbreak and I just dont know what else I can do since I have already stripped all the filtration. All input is appreciated, thank you guys.
Pics of the tank might help. It could be something you're unaware of is stripping the nitrates, sponges, algae, etc. But it's hard to say. In a filterless (floss only) tank, there should be some detectable amount of Nitrate... is the Hanna high range or low range?

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the tank might help. It could be something you're unaware of is stripping the nitrates, sponges, algae, etc. But it's hard to say. In a filterless (floss only) tank, there should be some detectable amount of Nitrate... is the Hanna high range or low range?
its the Low Range hanna checker

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use only filter floss and had the same issue of 0 nitrates followed by dinos.

Edit: In my case, the dinos were caused by a dose of fluconazole followed by chemiclean. I noticed 0 nitrates with detectable phosphates once dinos took hold of the tank. Didn’t mean to scare you. Haha

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use brightwell neo nitro or seachem flourish nitrogen if you want to increase the nitrate levels, just go very slow

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use only filter floss and had the same issue of 0 nitrates followed by dinos.

Edit: In my case, the dinos were caused by a dose of fluconazole followed by chemiclean. I noticed 0 nitrates with detectable phosphates once dinos took hold of the tank. Didn’t mean to scare you. Haha
Lol thats not only using filterfloss tho.
Thats chemical filtration....lol.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase your feedings +1 a day and then check nitrates after 1 week and see if they are noticeable. I would also try a different test lit just to be on the same side just to make sure that its not the Hanna that is giving you false readings.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase your feedings +1 a day and then check nitrates after 1 week and see if they are noticeable. I would also try a different test lit just to be on the same side just to make sure that its not the Hanna that is giving you false readings.
honestly I doubt it, its hard to get better than the low range nitrate checker unless you want to go neptune trident or other machine operated unit. Neonitro or flourish nitrogen would allow for a more controlled nitrate dosing and it is super cheap. It could also help to validate the hanna checker by testing some nitrate in a glass of freshly mixed saltwater

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly I doubt it, its hard to get better than the low range nitrate checker unless you want to go neptune trident or other machine operated unit. Neonitro or flourish nitrogen would allow for a more controlled nitrate dosing and it is super cheap. It could also help to validate the hanna checker by testing some nitrate in a glass of freshly mixed saltwater
I would still test with a different test kit just to be on the safe side. Hanna reagents do go bad even though they when they haven't expired.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dose nitrates.

Food grade Sodium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate from ebay diluted appropriately.

Essentially 16.3g of Potassium Nitrate disolved in 100ml of RO/DI water will give you a dosing solution solution where 1ml of solution will raise Nitrate by 1ppm in 100l of tank water.

That's what I use and is Super cheap and easy.

The Postassium added is not really significant unless you dose LOTS.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back