No food beyond this point! Do you focus on keeping the food out of the overflow?

Do you focus on keeping the food out of the overflow?

• I focus on keeping food out of the overflow.

Votes: 72 20.7%
  • I focus on food not going to the overflow too quickly.

Votes: 54 15.6%
  • I focus on getting food to the fish and corals and don’t worry about the overflow.

Votes: 203 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a plank auto feeder that should help with that but when i feed frozen, I’ll either turn off the return or feed slowly. I have a peninsula so i can feed about 4’ from the overflow

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t worry too much about that. I just give them food on the opposite part of the tank.

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always battled with nitrates and have minimal CUC in the refugium. So I'll turn the skimmer off and set the timer to kick back on 6 minutes, return set for 5, and hit feed mode on my Nero's that kicks them down to 5% for 5 minutes.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t until recently. I’m trying to do a better job of keeping Nitrates and Phosphates lower so that’s just more junk to not get eaten and decay in the tank.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No food beyond this point! Do you focus on keeping the food out of the overflow?

Some reef keepers prefer target feeding where corals are feed individually, others prefer broadcast feeding where the food is scattered with the current in the tank, and still others use a mixture of both approaches. One approach to setting up flow includes limiting spots where food and detritus can collect and designing the current so that those items are moved up and out of the tank. However, we also want to make sure that the food gets to the fish and coral and doesn’t get removed from the tank to quickly. Of course, it is also important to clean your mechanical filtration so that the food isn’t breaking down there either. When you are setting up the flow and when you are choosing how to add food to your aquarium, do you focus on keeping the food out of the overflow? Please share your thoughts in the related discussion!

SwissFragReefer_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @swiss Tank Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

With a cryptic refugium and a mud filter crawling with worms, I encourage feeding refugium. Nutrient recycling is my focus and feeding live food to filter feeders in display is my game.

antmoney480

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually turn off pumps skimmer and heater every feed 3 times a day all on click switch keeps most food in the tank and the clean up crew handles the rest!

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some reef keepers prefer target feeding where corals are feed individually, others prefer broadcast feeding where the food is scattered with the current in the tank, and still others use a mixture of both approaches. One approach to setting up flow includes limiting spots where food and detritus can collect and designing the current so that those items are moved up and out of the tank. However, we also want to make sure that the food gets to the fish and coral and doesn’t get removed from the tank to quickly. Of course, it is also important to clean your mechanical filtration so that the food isn’t breaking down there either. When you are setting up the flow and when you are choosing how to add food to your aquarium, do you focus on keeping the food out of the overflow? Please share your thoughts in the related discussion!

SwissFragReefer_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @swiss Tank Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"
I turn off my return pump, wait for water to drain, then feed fish

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back