No frills zoa

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone called? :D

this happens when a Zoa isnt fully extended (most of the time, I’ll get into some other rarer reasons in a sec). Basically, something is irritating it so it doesn’t open all the way. This could be pests, water perams, flow, lighting, etc all the usual suspects. (I feel like this is OP’s problem since the zoas look a little bleached and cupped inwards

Sometimes, a Zoa appears to have little/no frill (aka skirt/lashes) because a pest has eaten them off. This could be a specific type of amphipod or nudi. The best way to figure out if this is the cause is to look at other zoas. If any have only half a missing skirt or seem to have chunks taken out overnight then I’d say pests are the cause and after they are removed the Zoa should make a full recovery.

Last, flow. Low flow = shorter skirts and higher flow = longer skirts. If the Zoa is in a dead zone for a very long time then the skirt may shrink dramatically to almost nothing. Moving it to a higher flow location will fix the problem if this is the case. To me, @MNFish’s Zoa is having this issue.

Hope this helps yall! :D

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely in real life you can see those small SMALL little nubs but other than that they are very rounded
So, it did happen! But, you still have tentacles, albeit very small ones. You had me stumped calling them zoas. In actuality, I believe those to be palythoas, similar to palythoa grandis... But, I'm no expert. Thanks for posting a shot. Next time start out your thread with a shot, it sure does help. ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back