No growth in some corals, a lot in others.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about the flow?
In theory I should have 3500- 4000 gph in 32g but my impression from the flow is that I don't even have half of that..

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a pic of the encrusting acro
20221229_143917.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that sps+softies+lps is asking for trouble, but when I added the duncan to the tank for example, I was running a "typical" lps tank with higher nutrients and lower light. Also I see many users with great lps growth on the sandbed and huge acros on the top. My sensation is that nothing really grows like it should aside for some exceptions. But maybe it's my expectations that are flawed..

I'd would say it's more that we are a long way from understanding what individual genotypes/varieties need, including microbial stuff.

This article on Acropora microclades suggest how importan tank mates may be for some genotypes. Reinforcing this idea, J. E. N. Veron's books shows some species are only found with conspicifics.

This paper shows how a genotype's innate immunity factors in it's survival

This paper shows how reefs alter microbail and DOC compared to ocean water

This papers shows how different types of corals alter the microbial stuff in the water.

This was an interesting experiment and shows species specific responses to 3 different lighting conditions.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you measure at water surface and then estimate the difference by distance from the fixture? Or you actually dip your phone in the water xD
I just held my phone under the light at the water surface. Some people put their phone in ziploc bags and measure underwater too.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd would say it's more that we are a long way from understanding what individual genotypes/varieties need, including microbial stuff.

This article on Acropora microclades suggest how importan tank mates may be for some genotypes. Reinforcing this idea, J. E. N. Veron's books shows some species are only found with conspicifics.

This paper shows how a genotype's innate immunity factors in it's survival

This paper shows how reefs alter microbail and DOC compared to ocean water

This papers shows how different types of corals alter the microbial stuff in the water.

This was an interesting experiment and shows species specific responses to 3 different lighting conditions.
I mean I understand there is a huge amount of "complexity" in reef ecology and we only know a small fragment on how it works. But still many people here manage to get fantastic growth in their corals and fill their tank with color and shapes without having to buy $$$ of frags every month. I am just wondering whether I am doing something clearly wrong or it's just the peculiarity of my system to have slow growth rate. I am always a bit paranoid about having some heavy metal in the water or imbalance in elements. Maybe that particular individual has some disease or genetic problem, but I cannot rule out the important stuff before giving up and getting another frag of the same species.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I understand there is a huge amount of "complexity" in reef ecology and we only know a small fragment on how it works. But still many people here manage to get fantastic growth in their corals and fill their tank with color and shapes without having to buy $$$ of frags every month. I am just wondering whether I am doing something clearly wrong or it's just the peculiarity of my system to have slow growth rate. I am always a bit paranoid about having some heavy metal in the water or imbalance in elements. Maybe that particular individual has some disease or genetic problem, but I cannot rule out the important stuff before giving up and getting another frag of the same species.

Well, having kept reef systems for 4 decades I'm always paranoid. :worried-face: But I don't worry about heavy metals even using tapwater. What I worry about are the microbial processes that can be a severe source of stress for a coral and kill them.

FWIW I've seen older tanks and not look nearly as good or have the gorwth you've reported. And I would add pateince is definitely a virtue. Research has shown it can take weeks to months for corals to return to normal after a stress event (which shipping and acclimating to a new system certainly is) so adding new corals every month probably isn't the best way t go about it. Look at the growth of corals in the photographic essay paper. The time period for them was about 14 months. There was very pronounced species specific growths of the frags and some had hardly any growth under all three lighting conditions. And fast growth isn't necessarily good thing and has been shown to compromise coral immune systems.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Timfish opinion about creatures with different needs in one "box".
I logged 3000 dives all over the World, Raja Ampat, Wakatobi, Fiji, Hawaii, Caribbean, Maldives, Socorros, Cocos Island......
Never seen reef like yours or mine.
Your post gave me an idea-my next tank will be a "Biotope Tank"

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Timfish opinion about creatures with different needs in one "box".
I logged 3000 dives all over the World, Raja Ampat, Wakatobi, Fiji, Hawaii, Caribbean, Maldives, Socorros, Cocos Island......
Never seen reef like yours or mine.
Your post gave me an idea-my next tank will be a "Biotope Tank"
Oh man Raja Ampat is n.1 in my travel wishlist. It looks amazing, but I don't want to dive, just snorkel 10 hours every day and explore every little rock in the reef.
Yes a biotope tank sounds definitely like an interesting idea! I am sure that species belonging to the same habitat are more likely to have developed synergies and adaptation to their neighbours. The question is whether generations of captive breeding in aquariums have over-wrote that?
One of the ideas I had was to try a monospecific tank and concentrate on that one species needs so I can be sure that params, flow, light etc are the best they can. But I know I wouldn't resist and add other stuff at some point .

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pateince is definitely a virtue.
Well that's the hard part of having everyday the tank there and you hope to see some good progress from every frag. I learnt at least to not play with params when something is wrong (or at least to change them slowly) and that finally made the change in the tank.

Research has shown it can take weeks to months for corals to return to normal after a stress event (which shipping and acclimating to a new system certainly is) so adding new corals every month probably isn't the best way t go about it. Look at the growth of corals in the photographic essay paper. The time period for them was about 14 months. There was very pronounced species specific growths of the frags and some had hardly any growth under all three lighting conditions. And fast growth isn't necessarily good thing and has been shown to compromise coral immune systems.
Yes probably the issue is that I take as "baseline" what other people here reported on duncans growth for example. My impression was that they are quite fast growers and good indicators of water/conditions quality so when they don't grow means that something is off.
If I can rule out that the problem is in my setting than it's good because I know that I have to maintain things in that way and concentrate on getting few nice frags.
Also in less than a year I will have to move to some other place for the postdoc and my tank will have to start from almost zero once again :( and it will take some time again to recover after all the mess with being transported and the sand changed etc

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:
After almost 12 months, my duncans seems growing a little new head
20230112_165305.jpg

I moved him away from where the bicolor blenny and porcelain crab hang out. It's never been so open and plump :) I think it was the porcelain crab irritating it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_233343_651.jpg
    IMG_20220511_233343_651.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 21

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I'd slowly increase your alkalinity to at least 8 (ideally 8.25-8.5 dKH), calcium to 450-500ppm and magnesium to 1400-1450ppm. I'd also try to maintain nitrates of at least 5ppm and phosphates of 0.1-0.15ppm. Beyond that, lighting (test your PAR levels) and flow are two other areas you can look at as well as your peak pH level during the day.
Agree with all the above. I would also start dosing one drop of concentrated iodine for zoas. Maybe add some trace minerals

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

I moved him away from where the bicolor blenny and porcelain crab hang out. It's never been so open and plump :) I think it was the porcelain crab irritating it.
That's awesome (and they're doing a lot better than my duncan cluster is!)

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above. I would also start dosing one drop of concentrated iodine for zoas. Maybe add some trace minerals
I already dose from time to time some iodine drops, but very sparsely because I don't want to add another test in the list. Concerning trace elements, I was under the impression that 10-15% WC every couple of weeks should compensare for that right? I use very rich salts (red sea blue buckets)

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the seriatopora caliendrum started to grow very fast finally! 4 new branches in a week. I recently set up a softies tank with xenia, some mushrooms and chalices (they seem to do better there?). Maybe I will move the zoas there. Should I aim for different parameters compared to my other tank (mixed reef)? Somehow last time I tested I had undetectable nitrates. It is a 10g with 2 clowns! I have a lot of macros though..
Plan is to feed a lot/dose amminos and reach 10-15ppm no3. But first I want to test with another test kit just in case..

IMG_20230116_103915_093.jpg

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already dose from time to time some iodine drops, but very sparsely because I don't want to add another test in the list. Concerning trace elements, I was under the impression that 10-15% WC every couple of weeks should compensare for that right? I use very rich salts (red sea blue buckets)
You might not have to worry about trace elements then. I would just look at your corals and their needs. Maybe look into everything your salt currently provide and if something is missing maybe consider dosing. To be honest I dose because I don't do water changes frequently.

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:
20230112_165305.jpg

Nice. I would feed a few times a week for faster growth. I only have 3 months with mine and already have four new heads. Spot Feed 3-4 times a week. Best of luck

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back