Hammer coral growth mechanism question

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the growth mechanism for hammers, in particular ones that split and branch.

Question 1:

Looking at these it seems like the growth is all under the flesh, and the branch would grow in length as the flesh part deposits skeleton down underneath it, but not grow in width, at least certainly not where the skeleton is exposed. Is that correct?

Question 2:

If I’m correctly guessing Question 1, do the heads keep getting bigger, or for a species they just have a head size and associated “trunk” diameter?

Question 3:

After a split and branch, are the heads connected by living tissue through the skeleton, or are they independent, albeit genetically identical, creatures on a shared skeleton?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the growth mechanism for hammers, in particular ones that split and branch.

Question 1:

Looking at these it seems like the growth is all under the flesh, and the branch would grow in length as the flesh part deposits skeleton down underneath it, but not grow in width, at least certainly not where the skeleton is exposed. Is that correct?
Mostly right. IMHO.
Question 2:

If I’m correctly guessing Question 1, do the heads keep getting bigger, or for a species they just have a head size and associated “trunk” diameter?
The heads will get bigger after a split, but they only get to the size of the 'trunk' or a bit larger.
Question 3:

After a split and branch, are the heads connected by living tissue through the skeleton, or are they independent, albeit genetically identical, creatures on a shared skeleton?
As far as I know, there is no connection between the heads. They are each individual animals. Cutting the trunks has no effect on the heads.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly right. IMHO.

The heads will get bigger after a split, but they only get to the size of the 'trunk' or a bit larger.

As far as I know, there is no connection between the heads. They are each individual animals. Cutting the trunks has no effect on the heads.
The only thing I would add is the heads retract into the skeleton somewhat, a little below the outside flesh band. So if fragging cut an inch below the flesh band is best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back