Hammer Coral - Beginner Questions

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to, we’ll, all corals but especially LPS and have a couple of progress/stays questions about one of my hammers.

My main one - is splitting ever a bad sign? This coral has been in the tank a month and is well on its way to splitting - the top was a circle when I put it in, now it’s almost fully into two parts. No tissue recession though, if anything the tissue has grown a little further down the outside. Just seem very quick, especially while acclimating to a new tank…

This feels like a dumb question, but these creatures come with a step and sometimes counterintuitive learning curve and I missed a bunch of warning signs on my first LPS (torch) that I think I doomed.

Otherwise, wanted to ask if any concerns I should have based on the month since I added it. Video from today and a month ago:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see a difference between the 2, they are only 25 days apart, not much will happen in 25 days lol. It looks happy though.

As mentioned above, I would elevate it slightly so its not irritated by sand and it has space to grow.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see a difference between the 2, they are only 25 days apart, not much will happen in 25 days lol. It looks happy though.

As mentioned above, I would elevate it slightly so its not irritated by sand and it has space to grow.
I’ll take “no change” as a good thing. Good to get eyes on from someone more experienced. I wasn’t expecting growth or much in ththe way of development for the first month or so, which is why I was so surprised last night to see it’s so far along with splitting (it hulks out during the day so much I can only see the top if I take a look after dark).

Are they OK with proximity to rock but not sand? If so I’ll grab a flat piece at the LFS and raise it up off the sand. Hesitant to move it about as otherwise (to my untrained eye) seems happy where it is with flow/light.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take “no change” as a good thing. Good to get eyes on from someone more experienced. I wasn’t expecting growth or much in ththe way of development for the first month or so, which is why I was so surprised last night to see it’s so far along with splitting (it hulks out during the day so much I can only see the top if I take a look after dark).

Are they OK with proximity to rock but not sand? If so I’ll grab a flat piece at the LFS and raise it up off the sand. Hesitant to move it about as otherwise (to my untrained eye) seems happy where it is with flow/light.
First, it looks like it is doing fine.

mounting atop a flat rock to get off the sand bed is a good solution since you seem to have it in a good place.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to, we’ll, all corals but especially LPS and have a couple of progress/stays questions about one of my hammers.

My main one - is splitting ever a bad sign? This coral has been in the tank a month and is well on its way to splitting - the top was a circle when I put it in, now it’s almost fully into two parts. No tissue recession though, if anything the tissue has grown a little further down the outside. Just seem very quick, especially while acclimating to a new tank…

This feels like a dumb question, but these creatures come with a step and sometimes counterintuitive learning curve and I missed a bunch of warning signs on my first LPS (torch) that I think I doomed.

Otherwise, wanted to ask if any concerns I should have based on the month since I added it. Video from today and a month ago:

To answer your main question, is splitting a good thing? Yes, splitting is a good thing, it's a sign of health and growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back