No internet connection after powercut

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Classic apex. Hardwired to my router. No fusion connection issues ever. I have my return pump on outlet 4 set to fallback on.

Powercut for 3 hours this morning. Finally comes back on, but I can’t access fusion. Heartbeat says lost connection. Fine

But my internet and everything is running, and I can’t even connect on classic dashboard via ip.

Pull the two aquabus cables connected to my eb8s and the apex reboots. 30 seconds later my return pump turns off. Even though the eb8 is still plugged in and the outlet is set to fallback ON. I thought the whole point of fallbacks is to set the outlet state to the desired value if the head unit loses contact with the power strip?

Anyway, fusion is back online. But it is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS that the HU needs rebooting to reconnect. I can’t even set up the head unit to run on an independent power supply and smart switch (that would let me power cycle it remotely) because the eb8s still provide power via aquabis, AND THERE IS NO SETTING to turn off outlet supplied power TO the head unit via aquabus. I have to literally pull the aqb cables out physically- defeating the whole point of remote control!

My $29 WiFi nanny cam reconnected just fine, but my $900 apex was flying blind.

Can someone please explain to me why Neptune have yet to fix this issue?

Also- I’d appreciate a reply. There was a recent thread in the actual Neptune apex forums regarding THE SAME ISSUE and NOONE from Neptune even bothered to reply.

Cheers

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bueller? Bueller?

Oh, wait-

@NeptunePaul
@Terence

What’s the point of having a vendor specific forum, if the vendor hardly ever posts comments? I’m seeing like 9 threads on the front page with no vendor response.

Last edited:

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common known issue with these. Most run a battery back up just for the apex so it connects again. Not sure if it was fixed in the last firmware update.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common known issue with these. Most run a battery back up just for the apex so it connects again. Not sure if it was fixed in the last firmware update.
Yeah, I know it’s a pretty common issue- I just don’t understand undrstabd why it hasn’t been fixed yet.

So- with the battery backup- you plug a 12v battery into the head unit, and it only powers in via battery if an aquabus connected eb8 loses power? Or is it powered off battery constantly?

Presumably this keeps the head unit powered and ‘connected’ its just waiting for the router to reboot?

It’s kinda ridiculous that we need to battery backup the unit, when all we need is a software patch to put a 3 minute delay before it asks for an internet connection after reboot.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think most are using a ups for it.

Sure. I'd rather put a ups on the router box instead though- that way, at least I'd have internet and not just a powered-on-but-useless apex, since the outlets still arent getting power...

im wondering about power input priority. Does the 12v DC in jack have priority over the aquabus input, or vice versa? meaning, if I plug a non-ups 12v battery into the input jack, will it immediately power the apex, or is that input only functional if there is no aquabus power from a connected eb8 / 832?

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem but I run two separate apex. The newer one is troublesome but the classic which controls my 180/120 system never falters even when the newer one does.
I actually bought a second classic brain just so if the newer one ever goes down for good I can replace it with something more reliable.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of some feedback here? Surely there’s a fix for this issue- most other WiFi devices figured this out around 2005

@Terence
@NeptunePaul

They haven't even figured it out for the 2016 model let alone the old school stuff. I had to buy a wifi extender with an Ethernet port just so I could directly connect the apex and trick it into thinking it was hardwired.

And according to customer support it has to be something on my end. The other 10+ devices in my home stay connected with zero issue. But the Apex? Naw... that's gotta be something on my end /s

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't even figured it out for the 2016 model let alone the old school stuff. I had to buy a wifi extender with an Ethernet port just so I could directly connect the apex and trick it into thinking it was hardwired.

And according to customer support it has to be something on my end. The other 10+ devices in my home stay connected with zero issue. But the Apex? Naw... that's gotta be something on my end /s
My apex IS hardwired though- that’s the annoying thing. I’m not even doing WiFi- the thing won’t ask for an IP more than once. If it requests an IP before my router is ready to provide one, it just doesn’t work.

I ran cat5 specifically to avoid this, and it’s still an issue

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by $29 nanny cam works great- my $300 apex classic head doesn’t.

There’s something wrong with that.

Maybe I should have skipped the hobby grade controller and gone straight to something more professional for a 400g system. You know, one that has probes that work, doesn’t have a convoluted programming language and doesn’t lock me into a new $100 module with useless redundant temp or sal probe every time I want to sense state in a new batch of float switches...

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by the Neptune booth at MACNA and got the fix.

Go to network setup. (The Wi-Fi icon)

1B7A2F99-34F2-4B57-8E85-C7CCCA2FEDE0.png

Then select the configuration tab. Then chose disabled for DHCP. Then change the last 3 umbers of the IP address to a high number. Then the apex will wait for the router. Seems like this could be fixed with a firmware update since they are aware of the issue but this is the solution for now. Hope this helps.

744A2EF9-1D86-43A3-B079-A05AACC86402.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by the Neptune booth at MACNA and got the fix.

Go to network setup. (The Wi-Fi icon)

1B7A2F99-34F2-4B57-8E85-C7CCCA2FEDE0.png

Then select the configuration tab. Then chose disabled for DHCP. Then change the last 3 umbers of the IP address to a high number. Then the apex will wait for the router. Seems like this could be fixed with a firmware update since they are aware of the issue but this is the solution for now. Hope this helps.

Great- I’ll try it a bit later. I do appreciate you doing that!

I’ll update the thread when I find out if it works or not

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course- no WiFi tab in the classic....

02A5434C-6753-45A7-96CA-DDF215E07482.png

But I do see it on the classic dashboard

3FCBBFC6-C2F5-412F-A813-E6163DAB4972.jpeg

I’ll give it a go later

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested this and it appears to work. Thank you

My return outlet is set to fallback on, but power blipped 1 minute after I reconnected the head unit Aquabus. Return pump cycled off/on, which I thought would be avoided with a Fallback ON condition

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The result of the fallback ON failure is that one of my onyx perculas took a trip down the return line and is now missing an eyeball, it’s dorsal fins are shredded and it has a couple contusions.

Great

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assigning a static IP to the apex should fix it, I think. Interesting about the higher number.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back