No luck with Possum Wrasses

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool you tried both. What size tanks and how long have you had them? I’ve noticed mine ignores copepods and likes to hunt big amphipods! It’s been loving fish eggs mysis and reef frenzy as well.
Yellow banded possum wrasse is in a 13.5g evo and the Tanaka's graduated to my 16g rimless

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are overcomplicating domestication. It’s just the process of taming an animal.

I am just being technical of what domestication means.

Oddly enough I did find an article in journal of marine science and engineering with a list of domesticated fish. I doubt they considered clown fish but since clowns have been modified so heavily recently... maybe they count. We got the long fins and those stubbies and so on, changed through breeding to be designer.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow banded possum wrasse is in a 13.5g evo and the Tanaka's graduated to my 16g rimless
Good to hear of another with a possum in the evo! That is what I am running. Hopefully our fish have great lives in our tanks. Time will tell!! Looking good so far. As I mentioned earlier I will soon be upgrading to a jbj 28 gallon as well.

Oddly enough I did find an article in journal of marine science and engineering with a list of domesticated fish. I doubt they considered clown fish but since clowns have been modified so heavily recently... maybe they count. We got the long fins and those stubbies and so on, changed through breeding to be designer.

I understand - domestication can have multiple meanings and be a somewhat vague topic. I was just trying to make a larger point that I am into the hobby not just because I love the look of of a tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear of another with a possum in the evo! That is what I am running. Hopefully our fish have great lives in our tanks. Time will tell!! Looking good so far. As I mentioned earlier I will soon be upgrading to a jbj 28 gallon as well.

I understand - domestication can have multiple meanings and be a somewhat vague topic. I was just trying to make a larger point that I am into the hobby not just because I love the look of of a tank.

Ya I love fish too. More than corals. They can even be hilarious at times. I guess I just see the fish as wild fish that have adapted to captivity.

I think your possum will love a 28g. Probably a great size for such a fish.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a cool piece of data though! I will give it a better look when I get home.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I love fish too. More than corals. They can even be hilarious at times. I guess I just see the fish as wild fish that have adapted to captivity.
Also, we should be noting that probably every possum wrasse is straight from the wild. I learned this from trying to get one for 6 months unsuccessfully until the "season" the fish come out and get captured.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, we should be noting that probably every possum wrasse is straight from the wild. I learned this from trying to get one for 6 months unsuccessfully until the "season" the fish come out and get captured.

Wrasses seem difficult to breed but there is such a demand for them and they have bred a few types. Hopefully we expand into that area. People are constantly looking for pink streaks and possums.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses seem difficult to breed but there is such a demand for them and they have bred a few types. Hopefully we expand into that area. People are constantly looking for pink streaks and possums.
I agree! My marine biologist friend is actually breeding koi. We talk about trying to breed marine fish one day and transferring over. All possibility but if we ever did the possum wrasse would definitely be one of our attempted fish to breed. The thing is it is rare to even hear of someone keeping a possum wrasse long term, let alone getting two to breed. Anything is possible though! Hopefully one day.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! My marine biologist friend is actually breeding koi. We talk about trying to breed marine fish one day and transferring over. All possibility but if we ever did the possum wrasse would definitely be one of our attempted fish to breed. The thing is it is rare to even hear of someone keeping a possum wrasse long term, let alone getting two to breed. Anything is possible though! Hopefully one day.

I believe they spawn in @Paul B tank. He probably lights candles and plays sexy time music for them.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they spawn in @Paul B tank. He probably lights candles and plays sexy time music for them.
Oh wow!! I bet Marvin Gaye music is the secret. But seriously that is really cool! Great to know it is possible. @Paul B care to chime in how that is working? How old is the couple how long did it take to get them to breed/tank size?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Possum wrasses are not spawning that I can tell. They are also two different species. One
This old guy

Has all those verticle stripes and the other one is the type with only one vertical stripe. They don't seem to care about each other and ignore each other. I never saw them doing any spawning dances unless they do it in the back someplace where most of my fish spawn because they don't like me. :oops:

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Possum wrasses are not spawning that I can tell. They are also two different species. One
This old guy

Has all those verticle stripes and the other one is the type with only one vertical stripe. They don't seem to care about each other and ignore each other. I never saw them doing any spawning dances unless they do it in the back someplace where most of my fish spawn because they don't like me. :oops:
Ahhh still really cool though. It looks you have a Tanaka possum wrasse and a yellow band possum wrasse. Only difference is the two white stripes and yellow stripe. Mind me asking how old are they? What size tank?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I pictured is about 7, the other one is only maybe 2. The tank is a 125 gallon and is fifty years old. Uses NSW

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back