No Mechanical Filtration Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Enad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hi all,

I'm currently in the early stages of setting up a little project tank - a UNS 60S 10 Gallon Shallow Lagoon style tank. I'll be using the AI Blade Freshwater light to achieve a clean white look and introducing a number of interesting soft corals that will look good in white lighting.

The vision for this tank is to be fairly minimalist but natural looking, with a lot of sand, one major rock 'mound' in the center and then some half-buried rubble rock in some spaces. I plan on a limited amount of macroalgae eventually to help with some nutrient uptake.

In terms of fish, it's going to be minimal. I plan on evolving the tank over time, but it will likely be no more than 4 nano fish.

Now, I'm planning on integrating this into a living room cabinet piece so there will be no external or mechanical filtration. All the rock I'll be using has been either in my sump or in a heated/aerated bucket of saltwater for 1+ year. I'm basically looking to rely on the rocks and limited macroalgae for filtration. I'd like to do minimal maintenance for this so I'm thinking a small water change once a month, otherwise..nothing else.

I can adapt any dosing needs based on the corals but in terms of filtration, I guess I wanted to get people's thoughts here and see how they think this tank may turn out with no mechanical filtration and relatively low amount of live rock.
How are the softies growing under the freshwater blade? Got any tank pics?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new