No molting from fire shrimp?

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him a few weeks ago. No molt yet not even when I first introduced him. I notice he keeps scratching his bum and cleaning himself is he getting ready to molt? Also why do shrimp spit out food. My shrimp does that when they are getting nipped by the clownfish, so did the previous one but he did this before he died spitting out all of his food it was a cleaner shrimp btw.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him a few weeks ago. No molt yet not even when I first introduced him. I notice he keeps scratching his bum and cleaning himself is he getting ready to molt? Also why do shrimp spit out food. My shrimp does that when they are getting nipped by the clownfish, so did the previous one but he did this before he died spitting out all of his food it was a cleaner shrimp btw.
Just had a curiosity I have a couple of shrimps too. What temperature do you keep your tank at?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrimps molt every 2-3 weeks.
Make sure magnesium is good. They need that for a good molt.
Not sure about the food question. Maybe not Hungry

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 79 and the two species of shrimp I have, which is a cleaner and a fire shrimp molt about every two weeks.
But my magnesium and calcium are elevated most of the time.
Mine seems to stand right by the powerhead when it’s molting I guess the current helps him shed too.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 79 and the two species of shrimp I have, which is a cleaner and a fire shrimp molt about every two weeks.
But my magnesium and calcium are elevated most of the time.
Mine seems to stand right by the powerhead when it’s molting I guess the current helps him shed too.
79 is fine.
What is your mag and cal at?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these guys for a couple of years now they seem to be doing good and they’re healthy so if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it respectfully though

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe every 3 weeks is normal for me. Sometimes more frequent, although I am closer to a month right now.

The first day I got a fire shrimp it hid and molted immediately. Did not make an appearance for another 5 days, and I interpreted the molting as a dead body. I was shocked when it re-appeared!

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe every 3 weeks is normal for me. Sometimes more frequent, although I am closer to a month right now.

The first day I got a fire shrimp it hid and molted immediately. Did not make an appearance for another 5 days, and I interpreted the molting as a dead body. I was shocked when it re-appeared!
I always get freaked out when I find the molt. I always think one of them died.

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha - mine just finished molting yesterday. As someone else mentioned, he was doing it on a ledge near a powerhead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back