No more Snails! Maybe?

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo snails starve in our systems. I have a single astrea in my forty breeder with about 10 hermits. I’ve overstocked the cuc a million times over the years to handle algae issues. Vendors overestimate the number of critters an aquarist needs. Aquarists use them to handle issues with water chemistry. I have a bare bottom tank. If I had sand, I’d have some nassarius snails around to stir it up for sure. Im definitely for having snails in our reef tanks. Interesting critters.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there can be benefits to having the typical compliment of snails for larger systems, they can pose an ammonia issue for really small nanos and picos when they die and decompose (especially if there are no hermit crabs or lot of bristle worms to clean up quickly).

My 12g has run for nearly 13 years and for most of that time I've only had a few hermits and a smattering of home-grown tiny 1/8" collunista snails. However, I recently spied a Stomatella in a LFS frag tank that I acquired which is my favorite snail and I'll always make an exception for these little guys. :)

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there can be benefits to having the typical compliment of snails for larger systems, they can pose an ammonia issue for really small nanos and picos when they die and decompose (especially if there are no hermit crabs or lot of bristle worms to clean up quickly).

My 12g has run for nearly 13 years and for most of that time I've only had a few hermits and a smattering of home-grown tiny 1/8" collunista snails. However, I recently spied a Stomatella in a LFS frag tank that I acquired which is my favorite snail and I'll always make an exception for these little guys. :)
I have one Stomatella snail in my display tank and it's not on purpose lol. They seem cool and they reproduce like crazy in my Quarantine Tank. However I bought 5 Turbo Snails two months ago and 4 of them died already. Seriously considering dosing NoPox in my QT instead of getting more stink bombs lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back