No nitrates high phosphates.

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m stuck on why I would have no nitrates and high phosphates. I use to keep my phosphates at .1 and found that great along side my nitrates still been 0. lately due to lack of maintenance my phosphate has creeped up to around .4 which is higher than I would like but my nitrates are still at 0. Some corals lack in depth colouration which I believe is due to very low nitrates. I have sinced turned my lights down a little in attempt to no burn coral. Tank is a 20gal cube with protein skimmer 2 clowns and decently stocked full of coral. Any help on in depth understanding of nutrients would be greatly appreciated.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, can't help you but have same problem, even after dosing nitrates they would still drop to 0 after some time

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m stuck on why I would have no nitrates and high phosphates. I use to keep my phosphates at .1 and found that great along side my nitrates still been 0. lately due to lack of maintenance my phosphate has creeped up to around .4 which is higher than I would like but my nitrates are still at 0. Some corals lack in depth colouration which I believe is due to very low nitrates. I have sinced turned my lights down a little in attempt to no burn coral. Tank is a 20gal cube with protein skimmer 2 clowns and decently stocked full of coral. Any help on in depth understanding of nutrients would be greatly appreciated.
If your not exporting nitrate in any other way I would consider dosing them which in return should help your phosphates as well. You could also consider cutting back on skimming and adding another fish. Just keep an eye on your ph if you decide to put your skimmer on a timer.

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not exporting nitrate in any other way I would consider dosing them which in return should help your phosphates as well. You could also consider cutting back on skimming and adding another fish. Just keep an eye on your ph if you decide to put your skimmer on a timer.
Thank you, I have an air bubbler to assist with my ph, keeps it around 8.3ph. I I’m guessing my coral must use all the nitrates faster than I can put ‘em in the tank is pretty full!

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I have an air bubbler to assist with my ph, keeps it around 8.3ph. I I’m guessing my coral must use all the nitrates faster than I can put ‘em in the tank is pretty full!
Are you getting alot of skimmate?

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issue is that the lack of nitrates are inhibiting the breakdown of phosphates. Dose some nitrates and it should sort itself out.
Thank you, I didn’t realise nitrates helped break them down. Do you know any threads or videos that go in depth in this. Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral probably use almost no nitrate at all unless they are growing super fast. Nitrogen is only needed to grow new organic tissue - it is not a food or used to function... just a a builing block. Besides, most coral get their nitrigen from ammonia and even nitrite before they do from nitrate.

There are bacteria that turn no3 into N gas, but these take many months to develop and are usually only in mature tanks. Film bacteria and algae, macro algae, etc. all can use nitrate directly.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral probably use almost no nitrate at all unless they are growing super fast. Nitrogen is only needed to grow new organic tissue - it is not a food or used to function... just a a builing block. Besides, most coral get their nitrigen from ammonia and even nitrite before they do from nitrate.

There are bacteria that turn no3 into N gas, but these take many months to develop and are usually only in mature tanks. Film bacteria and algae, macro algae, etc. all can use nitrate directly.
If this was your tank, would you dose nitrate? I'm only asking cause my parameters about same, just not as high phosphates as his. Also my tank is 6 years old

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't say nitrogen is just used for growth. It is used in different functions than just growth.

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say nitrogen is just used for growth. It is used in different functions than just growth.
I appreciate both reply’s interest to know why a lot of tanks that run ULNS tend to have pale colours with sps but the guys who run nitrates around 5ppm develop deep colours. I know I have gaps in my knowledge lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate both reply’s interest to know why a lot of tanks that run ULNS tend to have pale colours with sps but the guys who run nitrates around 5ppm develop deep colours. I know I have gaps in my knowledge lol

The idea is that ULNS starve the zooxanthellae, keeping their numbers low and making the coral more pale. You will see reefs that are unhealthy are often filled with pastel colored corals. I believe this is what is occuring

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that ULNS starve the zooxanthellae, keeping their numbers low and making the coral more pale. You will see reefs that are unhealthy are often filled with pastel colored corals. I believe this is what is occuring
Thanks I’ll look into that, I’ve started dosing nitrates this week and I’ll see how it goes

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try to get my phosphates under control and then experiment again with different foods what do you recommend that has less phosphates

Ah forgot about that. You can check the packages for foods when shopping around and compare their phosphorus content. Another option is to dose aminos.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like what? I know that online reefers seem to think that it is energy or food, but besides building organic tissue or otherwise as a building block, what is is actually used for?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UNLS are levels that your meters won't be able to detect. Even 1 ppb of po4 and .1 no3 is not ultra low in any way, shape or form. True ulns uses media or chemicals and often strips out the more usable forms of N and P.

Most folks who post don't even know that their corals are not likely even using nitrate and that even if their no3 gets to 5 that the level does not matter and that the feedings thay got them to 5 are what drove the bus and even if their no3 was .5, they corals would likely look the same if the feedings were the same.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what? I know that online reefers seem to think that it is energy or food, but besides building organic tissue or otherwise as a building block, what is is actually used for?
There are a bunch of things proteins can be used for.

OP
OP
B

billyo2811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UNLS are levels that your meters won't be able to detect. Even 1 ppb of po4 and .1 no3 is not ultra low in any way, shape or form. True ulns uses media or chemicals and often strips out the more usable forms of N and P.

Most folks who post don't even know that their corals are not likely even using nitrate and that even if their no3 gets to 5 that the level does not matter and that the feedings thay got them to 5 are what drove the bus and even if their no3 was .5, they corals would likely look the same if the feedings were the same.
This makes more sense. So are you saying the excess n03 is a consequence of the feeding schedule?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back